 Technic / 11151
Re: Pneumatic Magic Presetnation Maertials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:09:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:
Which was the basis of my original suggestion, that the smaller volume on the
"contract" side of pistons (both large and small) would imply that they contract
slightly faster than they expand, but with slightly less force?

Yes.  The contract face of the piston has less area than the expand face.

Whew! Glad we got that worked out! But that contradicts what you say in the PPT
presentation, as I pointed out originally!
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=11127

Live and learn!  I thank all who patiently explained my error.  I'll fix and
update.  That is what I love about LEGO, learning and discovery.  I'm a computer
engineer, not a physicist, and the things I make are highly physical.  In this
case, incomplete comprehension of the theory got in the way of practical
understanding.

Not to start this all over, but because the contract face has less area, under
*heavy* load conditions, *I think* that expansion can be faster than contraction
because of the minor extra force the expand face provides.

I'll take a hint, get a stopwatch, and check out my hypothesis......

ROSCO

Kevin