 Technic / 11189
Re: Pneumatic Magic Presetnation Maertials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:20:33 GMT

"Jennifer Clark" <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote:
[ceramic grease in pneumatic cylinders]
I've just tried this and it does make a significant improvement, especially
on older cylinders. With two old cylinders connected up in parallel, I found
that the treated one would extend and retract before the untreated one, and
when both were treated both became more or less equal again. I don't suppose
there is any chance of damage to the seals from this grease?

I hope there's no chance of damage :) I went for ceramic grease over
organic as I understand it's fairly inert. I'm no chemist though and I
don't even know what the seals are made from.

A check of my cylinders (which had this treatment about 18 months ago)
shows they are still holding pressure and in the transparent ones I
can't see any visible degradation of the seals. So far, so good.

Tim