 Technic / 11139
Re: Pneumatic Magic Presetnation Maertials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 06:09:01 GMT

Kevin L. Clague's utterance expressed in news:HJsMzo.4n3@lugnet.com:

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:

<snip>

  Less area, less force,,,,,

Ummmm yep, thats what I meant - the contract side is smaller so less
force, but wouldn't that also mean it contracts faster because it
needs less air? Just like the small cylinders expand/contract much
faster than the big ones because of the much smaller area?

I think that the smaller pistons expand/contract faster because they
have much less friction, combined with the fact that they have much
smaller cavities.  The old large single acting pistons expand/contract
much faster than the new large double acting pistons because they have
much less friction.

Friction is an important factor. But just as important is the fact
that if I want to fill a certain volume with air, it takes less
time if the volume is smaller - therefore the pistons contract
faster because of the shaft that takes up volume in that end. The
pumps does deliver the same amount of air to all types of cylinders.

This has to be tested with a stopwatch...  :)

Play on..
--
| lars gjerløw jørgensen | lgj[at]jyde[dot]dk  |
| N55 43.184  E12 32.405 | www.lgj.dk | oz2lgj |