 Space / 31267
Re: Solara Hovercar MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:44:25 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tom Sciortino wrote:

So what if it “rides a little bit slower” -- it looks good doin’ it. ;) I love the tail end of this thing. That grill work, the tail lights--and the fins!!! Mmmmm, fins... When will today’s car manufacturers realize it’s time to bring back fins?!?! And is that a premium sound system I see on either side of the driver’s head? Man, you thought of everything. The snot work is very interesting too. I like the interleaving of the red and grey towards the back. Good work with the underside, too. Often people ignore that part of a model, but yours has some great features under there.

Thank you.

The fact that the fins can be top and bottom just doubles the fun. Yes, that’s the best sound system possible; when you’re flying solo, ya gotta have tunes. This is what I call a ‘studs-out’ design; there are studs facing every direction. The main ‘studs-up’ part is the canopy assembly and there are a few others, but there are more studs pointing down overall (though they are covered with tiles.)

   I don’t know how others do it, but I usually build from the outside in too. First a frame to get the general shape, then usually engines (just the nozzles) and landing gear. Later on I fill in the empty spaces (including any engine compartments, weapons bays, cockpit details, and assorted greeb’s).

I tend to start with a seedpart or a ‘seed assembly’, which in this case was the side panel and then the tail light/fin. I actually thought it would be a two-seater until I tried putting seats in.

   My only complaint is that lego doesn’t make a chain-link steering wheel or fuzzy dice. And the fact that I can’t get “Low Rider” out of my head now.

Ah, the song-virus. ha ha! I’m glad you picked up on that one. That’s another resonance this model has for me, though I’m not sure how the lowrider concept maps onto the hovercar concept. But, hey, I like the song. Shall we petition TLC for the steering wheel and fuzzy dice?

   P.S. Could you maybe make your pictures just a little smaller. While it is kinda neat to see the individual polymer chains comprising each brick, it’s a wee-bit slow for us pathetic dial-up users. :)

As a pathetic dial-up user myself, I feel your pain. I did trim the extra background of the tops and bottoms of the pics where possible. I figure that 640x480 is a reasonable compromise, but I may have saved them at too high a quality. At least I downsampled my 4 megapixel shots from the camera. I’d like to hear other thoughts about this issue. How many seconds at 56k is a reasonable download time? Did anyone else see the recent brickshelf file of an out-of-focus purple bionicle slug in the middle of a vast expanse of out-of-focus upholstery at 1600x1200 pixels? sheeesh! Anyway, yes, I’ll try and keep them a little smaller.

Peace and resolution,

Professor Whateverly

click to ride