 Pirates / 538
537  |  539
Subject:
Boilers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.boats, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 07:05:42 GMT

Hi all,

I've been having the biggest trouble filling my new ships with
machinery.  I have, for your consideration, a rough .jpg of a pair of
small-bore oil-fired boilers on a display plate with a little naval
officer for scale (yes, they're selectively compressed, I know):

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/Newboilers.jpg

Note the Sebulba pod vents--they really do come in handy here!

Any suggestions as to further machinery, ductwork, etc., and how I might
render these inside a naval vessel, circa 1925?  I've already decided
that very few areas will actually be significantly detailed--deck
support will just take up too much space by itself, and I need the
pieces for the upperworks.

Since I just got a new halogen work lamp and a bigger memory card for my
camera, I'll take some photos of the new triple HG turrets for the large
ship currently building (_Ekaterina II_) in the next few days.
Outwardly the ship will take its inspiration from the Russian 1915
capital ship of the same name, while positing a possible course of
evolution from it (thus the oil-fired boilers!).  The compression
factor, which is significant (~1:3), makes these tasks all the more
difficult, so any suggestions are highly appreciated.

best,

Lindsay

n.b.:  Crossposted to lugnet.pirates, because there are a lot of great
boat-heads over there too.