 Boats / 79
Re: Boilers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.boats, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 22:57:38 GMT

James Powell wrote:

In lugnet.boats, Larry Pieniazek writes:
James is right, but I still like the way they look. L, you're right,
those star wars elements even kind of look like a grate looking into the
firebox. I could see using these boilers inside a small machine shed in
an older factory.

Oh, I would say they look _great_ as far as a small boiler goes...in fact,
they look a lot like a boiler I may get the chance to help retube at
school...but it supplies steam to a 15 BHP engine...so not all that much
power...and our steam car boiler/engine is at least 15 BHP, and much smaller
(16" dia, about 2' tall, with 298 firetubes)

Yeah, I figured they were way too small for a ship by themselves--my thought was
to install a dozen or so (for a whopping 180 BHP)...but the problem with the
three-deck model is that the ship isn't full-hull, it's waterline.  I wish I
could have the hull to have a deck full of coal and boilers with a coal-bunker
of 1x1 and 1x2 black plates!

These boilers may end up in a cruiser (or an 1870s ironclad!) instead of a
capital ship, considering the size issues pointed out earlier.  For Ekaterina, I
may just have the deck contour shown over where the machinery would be inside
the ship...but it's still a bit grumble-inducing.

best

Lindsay