 Pirates / 572
Re: Boilers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 02:22:27 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Tony Priestman wrote:

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Richard Parsons (<FpJ6oq.5r9@lugnet.com>) wrote at
23:08:58

Oh, and because I'm trying and failing dismally to put a teeny tiny boiler
into my period sidewheel riverboat (on the ten wide adventurers hull), and • I
can use all the inspiration I can get :-)

I've often gone directly for screw propulsion.  But if I'm not mistaken, • weren't
most small paddlewheelers (<800 dwt) run by a single boiler, oriented front to
back like a train given the orientation of the wheels' axle?  I saw a boat • like
this, and the boiler was fed from the front below decks--it wasn't that big,
either; about 1/3 the width of the boat.  Could you take the boiler I've
prototyped and reorient it front-to-back?

That would sound about right.  I can ask the PNLTC members who live in Portland
for pictures of one if you guys are really interested (Ben Fleskes should be
able to get pics fairly easy).

From memory, ya, most smaller boats would only have one boiler.  The size
thing, well it really depends.  SS Great Britain has 4, if I recall right, but
that has to do with boiling salt water...not quite as odd as SS Great Eastern,
which had sail, screw and paddles...

James P