 Boats / 75
Re: Boilers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.boats, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:52:21 GMT

In lugnet.boats, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Hi all,

I've been having the biggest trouble filling my new ships with
machinery.  I have, for your consideration, a rough .jpg of a pair of
small-bore oil-fired boilers on a display plate with a little naval
officer for scale (yes, they're selectively compressed, I know):

Lets put it this way, if they are that selectivly compressed, each one is about
big enough to power a boat 2x the size of a rowboat!

They would be in real life MASSIVE structures, on the order of 15' across each,
and the same high.  Small ones like that would likely produce 20-50 HP worth of
steam, not very much...unless you are using them as Aux boilers, then you need
much bigger ones...

On HMCS Anapolis (sorry, my spelling sucks!) the boilers were 3 decks high
(around 30 ft) and 25 by 25 or so, for 12 000 HP of steam each.  Ones fitted to
a older ship would be smaller, but there would be more of them.  If she was
originally fitted out as a coal burner, then there would be even more of
them...

James P