 Boats / 74
  Boilers

Hi all, I've been having the biggest trouble filling my new ships with machinery. I have, for your consideration, a rough .jpg of a pair of small-bore oil-fired boilers on a display plate with a little naval officer for scale (yes, they're (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.boats, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Boilers

(...) Lets put it this way, if they are that selectivly compressed, each one is about big enough to power a boat 2x the size of a rowboat! They would be in real life MASSIVE structures, on the order of 15' across each, and the same high. Small ones (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.boats, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Boilers

James is right, but I still like the way they look. L, you're right, those star wars elements even kind of look like a grate looking into the firebox. I could see using these boilers inside a small machine shed in an older factory. The problem with (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.boats, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Boilers

(...) I fell in love with those tiles as soon as I saw them. Must aquire fire-grates... Steve (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.boats)

  Re: Boilers

(...) Oh, I would say they look _great_ as far as a small boiler goes...in fact, they look a lot like a boiler I may get the chance to help retube at school...but it supplies steam to a 15 BHP engine...so not all that much power...and our steam car (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.boats, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Boilers

(...) Yeah, I figured they were way too small for a ship by themselves--my thought was to install a dozen or so (for a whopping 180 BHP)...but the problem with the three-deck model is that the ship isn't full-hull, it's waterline. I wish I could (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.boats, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Boilers

Do any part of the boilers in a capital ship of the mauve decade protrude above waterline? Maybe you should just suggest the top of the boilers on the lowest deck? And why is this cross posted to Pirates?? :-) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-00, to lugnet.boats, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Boilers

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Larry Pieniazek (<389BA44F.76044CE9@...ager.net>) wrote at 04:17:19 (...) Because they still operate in the South China Sea? (amongst other places :-) ) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-00, to lugnet.boats, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Boilers

(...) Actually, because a lot of people with good technical expertise and interest read .pirates and not .boats (IIRC). And yeah, I was thinking about just modeling the tops of the boilers...but I haven't settled on a solution yet. best LFB (24 years ago, 6-Feb-00, to lugnet.boats, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Boilers

Larry Pieniazek wrote (...) How about because Lindsay, arch pirate and knower of all manner of obscure things piratical, wants it that way. Sounds fine by me. Oh, and because I'm trying and failing dismally to put a teeny tiny boiler into my period (...) (24 years ago, 6-Feb-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Boilers

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Richard Parsons (<FpJ6oq.5r9@lugnet.com>) wrote at 23:08:58 (...) Is this the Amazon Adventure thingy? I don't think we've got it in the UK. Are these the single brick thick bow sections? (24 years ago, 6-Feb-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Rifer Expedition (was re: Boilers)

Tony Priestman wrote (...) I (...) (URL) think six wide bow bits used to make 'cutters', and then think ten wide. There's also a top/bottom plate with the same profile (a la six wide) and there is also a top plate complete with gunwales. In the (...) (24 years ago, 7-Feb-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Boilers

(...) I've often gone directly for screw propulsion. But if I'm not mistaken, weren't most small paddlewheelers (<800 dwt) run by a single boiler, oriented front to back like a train given the orientation of the wheels' axle? I saw a boat like (...) (24 years ago, 7-Feb-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Boilers

(...) I (...) weren't (...) like (...) That would sound about right. I can ask the PNLTC members who live in Portland for pictures of one if you guys are really interested (Ben Fleskes should be able to get pics fairly easy). From memory, ya, most (...) (24 years ago, 8-Feb-00, to lugnet.pirates)