 Pirates / 4280
4279  |  4281
Subject:
The barque Dodelijk Klompschoen
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.boats, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:35:25 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Not long after the shipwrights abducted for the construction of the Revenge arrived back in Port Brique, an entirely new vessel arrived, leading to speculation that this new, mysterious, three master had also been built by the abducted artisans.

The barque glided into the waters of Port Brique, under full sail on a breezy day. Her rounded bow and her broad beam betrayed a low countries design, and soon the Dutch flag was sighted at the mainmasthead.

   Jean Thundier, in the recently rebuilt Madame Thenardier gave this dutch vessel plenty of searoom as she approached the port.

Though the gunports (sixteen of them!)remained tightly closed, the extra guns on deck showed that this barque was a serious vessel.

The three master took up one of the spare moorings of the port and her captain promptly went ashore in a boat.

At the dockside, the Mayor and the Capitain of the French Squadron were awaiting the new arrival.

Kapitein Puntblazer of the Dutch barque Dodelijk Klompschoen was greeted by the French dignatories, but declined to give too much information about his vessel or his intentions.

Some of the younger french captains rowed around the moored Dodelijk Klompschoen, scoffing at its design and inferior construction materials, but Jacques Legeaux later cautioned them about not taking the newcomer too seriously. He considered that, of the vessels of Port Brique, only the Misérable could successfully engage the barque (though he conceded that many of them could outsail it).

The Dodelijk Klompschoen is my first project using the remarkable

    7075 Captain Redbeard's Pirate Ship
134 elements, 4 figures, US$40, 2004
LEGO > SYSTEM > Pirate > 4+

Using the 7075 presents some difficulties, and the hull pieces are quite different to work with compared to the traditional hull pieces. Tumblehome is incorporated into the hull pieces, but it’s very shallow (45deg!). The new wide hull pieces don’t fit together as nicely as the old, but they are very wide.

I used standard masts for the fore and the main, but kept the new 4+ mast sections for the bowsprit and the mizzen. Originally, I was going to build it as a brig, but the size of the vessel as it neared completion really cried out for a third mast.

The 7075 doesn’t include a rudder (though it does have a wheel...) so that needed to be added. I used a 2x2 turntable mounted under the greatcabin to get the pivot in the right place. It would be nice to have some way of hinging it to the hull, but alas, that can’t be done.

The sails are home made, (the main and top) modelled on those included with the 7075, the jibs are traditional designs, and the gaff sail is a new design for this vessel. I decided (partly due to a diminishing supply of 1xn black plates) to use the 4+ arms included in the 7075. Fortunately there are four in the set. I used plate built top arms, and extended the lower arms with plates for a taper effect.

I believe the 7075 floats. I’m not sure the Dodelijk Klompschoen would, I’ve added alot of weight. If I get the chance I might try it, and photograph the results... but I don’t hold out much hope for the paper sails!

I am very pleased with the results, and again recommend the 7075 as a good basis for sailing vessel.

Here are a selection of pics (click to enlarge):