 Pirates / 4285
Re: The barque Dodelijk Klompschoen
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:02:51 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Robert van Dijk wrote:
   Well Richie, that’s certainly a ‘big’ ship there.

However, one sidenote: The name should be ‘Dodelijke Klompschoen’ (notice the extra e) I am not exactly sure what the name is supposed to mean since ‘Klompschoen’ is not an existing dutch word. ‘dodelijke’ means ‘deadly’, ‘schoen’ means ‘shoe’ but ‘klomp’ has two different meanings: ‘Clog’ or ‘lump/slug’

So the tranlation should be: ‘Deadly Clogshoe’ which is quite silly or ‘Deadly Lumpshoe’. That sounds just as bad in my opinion......

Hey, Robert....

How about:

Klompschoen = Doc Martens :-)

Paul Sinasohn LUGNET #115