 Pirates / 4191
Re: Secret testing of a new cannon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:32:07 GMT

Hi Kurt

In lugnet.pirates, Kurt Baty wrote:
   The Texas Navy had a steam powered warship in 1838! “Predating any self-propelled vessels built by the U.S. Navy, Zavala had the distinction of becoming the first armed (steam) warship in North America.”

http://www.numa.net/articles/texas_naval_ship_zavala.html

Um - I think the Texans might have been nosed out by the Royal Navy. :) The British were using steam-powered gunboats on the St. Lawrence river and Lake Ontario in the winter of 1837-1838 to counter what today would be called terrorists attacking from the United States into British North America.

Regards,

Norbert Black