 Pirates / 4179
Re: Secret testing of a new cannon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:18:08 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, George Edward Godwin wrote:
   What a great gun!

Thanks!

   It needs a better mount though. :)

Well!

“Indeed, the 12-inch “Oregon” gun Ericsson had built in England, and which also constituted the U.S.S. Princeton’s armament (along with the infamous “Peacemaker’ of Captain Robert F. Stockton’s build) was worked by an equally-revolutionary iron carriage of his own design.”

Ericsson’s 1843 “Oregon” gun carriage:

http://www.ijnhonline.org/howard_special/The_Guns_at_Filipstad_pics_docs/Ericsson%20carriage.jpg

so this was my model proto type

I have added new pics:

see: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1111526

and yes it’s too tall and it’s sides are too thick, but I got my gearing in there and the siding disconnecting crank shaft. I tried to use the 2817 part but I need 1.5 stud spacing to mesh the 8 and 16 teeth gears. I looked at 24 tooth gear but that would make the gun carriage even taller!

I would be glad to see a better way to mount my new guns!

For more info on Ericsson, “Oregon” gun, and the U.S.S. Princeton see:

http://www.northwestships.com/Oregon%20Gun.htm

It realy reminded me of the “Disappearing Guns” mounted at a place called Fort Rodd Hill (near where I live)as coastal defence batteries during the Victorian era. I found a web page describing a similar model mounted in New Zealand: http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/Historic/Auckland-Historic-Areas/The-disappearing-gun.asp

neat!

kurt