 Pirates / 4187
Re: Secret testing of a new cannon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 01:34:12 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Kurt Baty wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Kurt Baty wrote:
   To: Cmdr. Naval Weapons Development RTN HQ. Galveston

From: Capt. Counter-Intelligence Texas Rangers

We have intercepted communications coming out of the Mexican spy network in and around Galveston. They are reporting on the noise of testing of “very large” cannons and the large shipments of iron ore coming to Galveston from Llano. They also report on someone named “Joneriksun” who they think is involved. I don’t know what you are developing, but I hope it’s good enough. Because it looks like we could soon be back to open war with Mexico.

Jack

On a small sand island in a bayou not to far from Galveston Secret testing of one of the new cannons continues!

why pirates? (recall what Sam Houston said about us)

so what do you think?

I think that if you keep up the development, you’ll be attempting a pirate-era moonshot before long!

I am confused!?

The Texas Navy had a steam powered warship in 1838! “Predating any self-propelled vessels built by the U.S. Navy, Zavala had the distinction of becoming the first armed (steam) warship in North America.”

http://www.numa.net/articles/texas_naval_ship_zavala.html

Do you think my cannon design is wrong? I put my modeling date at 1845. These big smooth cannons were under development at that time.

-snip-

No, No! Not wrong by any means! Pirate-era moonshot from gun development, is a reference to Jules Verne’s From the Earth to the Moon.... where they attempted a moonshot from a very large gun...

I’m not meaning to question your ballistics technology development!

   Roll on Columbiad! (But rightfully in Texas, not Florida!)

I am just building some “what ifs” here for fun!!

The very large gun for the moonshot was named Columbiad, and there was considerable discussion (and public rallies) about whether it should be built in Florida or Texas.

JV’s novel was set, iirc, shortly after the ACW, so with your 1845 developments, you might just beat it!

Cheers

Richie Dulin