 Pirates / 4192
Correction re: steam warships, dates of service.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:00:40 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Kurt Baty wrote:

   I am confused!?

The Texas Navy had a steam powered warship in 1838! “Predating any self-propelled vessels built by the U.S. Navy, Zavala had the distinction of becoming the first armed (steam) warship in North America.”

http://www.numa.net/articles/texas_naval_ship_zavala.html

That page is incorrect.

The first steam-powered armed warship in North America was in fact Robert Fulton’s catamaran-hulled center-paddler Demologos, completed in 1815 for the defence of New York and kept in service by the US Navy until its destruction in an accident in 1829.

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi156.htm

all best

LFB