 Pirates / 4190
4189  |  4191
Subject:
Disappearing Gun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:17:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Well I did it I got the disappearing gun mount working. But as can clearly be seen here

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/oranges/coastal/s3010001b.jpg

I had to sacrifice almost all sense of historical accuracy in favor of functionality, But who knows these shots make it look pretty convincing:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/oranges/coastal/s3010014.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/oranges/coastal/s3010012.jpg

LOL.

The mechanism works as follows: The cannon slides back when pull on the firing handle. This compresses this spring:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/oranges/coastal/s3010004b.jpg

So when I let go the cannon slides forward and pushes a sliding frame within the mount pulling the plate of this tile:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/oranges/coastal/s3010006.jpg

And since the front is hinged the back falls down removing the gun from sight.

To save stress on the frame from falling these blocks support the mount on its sturdy base

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/oranges/coastal/s3010004.jpg

Well not Historic at all this is not how the real mounts worked but what can you do when you have a cannon that recoils forward!

I guess you could consider this a “what if” prototype equivalent to the Gatlling (Spelled his name wrong) guns relationship to modern machine guns. Does the same thing but in A completely different way.

Any how you might be interested to know that the only Technic in they entire model is the hinge! That’s right 95% regular old Lego. Not that I don’t like Technic I just don’t have that much. I suppose some one could do a more accurate model with pneumatics.

This is even in the real world a prototype. It still has to have the tile/plate primed before each shot by moving it to so the plate only sits a little on the tile.

As for an operational date well...... (using search engine)

O.k. Google says one of their first uses was in 1891 so this is a prototype that came before real development.....

So about 1880!

Things missing from this set up:

a mechanical raising method.

a rotating platform.

sighting equipment.

a bigger crew.

And oh yeah the gallery

BTW I do actualy fire the shells seen in the black and white pic and they fly pretty well with the added weight of the cone.