 Pirates / 3873
3872  |  3874
Subject:
shipbuilding techniques (was Re: Report: ISS Advatange Refit)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 23:28:52 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Wesley Davis wrote:

Well, YOU suggested it :P
Yes I did.  I may live to regret it ;)

I'd love to discuss shipbuilding techniques. I'm always looking to improve.

I just recently discovered the crow's nest by looking at a photo of one from
below. (That's why I included such a photo in the post at the top of this
thread).

There's lots of things we can discuss. I think most of them are
modifications.

Let's see:

Expanded Mast Platforms and crow's nests
I have made my own mast platform without using the Lego piece, by putting those
1x4 plates with the bar in the yard-holes (they are exactly 5 studs apart if you
use one on each side at the top of the bottom mast-piece).

No, that didn't make sense - look at pic instead

Adding forward (and rear) chaser cannons on turntables
Custom sails (definately cool)
Building and storing lifeboats
Studs-up yard design
I'm pretty stumped on all of these.  I don't think I've ever managed to fit
boats to my ships without it looking stupid, and my biggest ship so far has only
had 4 cannons, so yeah.

Figureheads
Internal compartmentalization
The recurring problem of "How to make the interior accessible"
My biggest problem!  My latest idea -
though this could get impractical with larger ships ;)

Starting a ship
Bah, this one is easy... just grab some hull pieces and let your hands wander.
It's finishing that's the tough one.

making cool-looking aft sections

http://news.lugnet.com/pirates/?n=3581
Best sterncastle ever :P  In fact one of my favourite creations I've seen here.

Yo ho ho, a pirate's life for me,
Michael