 Pirates / 3877
Re: shipbuilding techniques (was Re: Report: ISS Advatange Refit)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 01:54:50 GMT

making cool-looking aft sections

http://news.lugnet.com/pirates/?n=3581
Best sterncastle ever :P  In fact one of my favourite creations I've seen here.

Yo ho ho, a pirate's life for me,
Michael

hi michael, i am extremely flattered that you hold my creation in such high
regard! you do me much honor. thank you. i was very happy with scimitar, but
believe it or not, i view all of my ships with an eye to improvement. as a
result, each one gets better than the last one! check out my other folders, and
you will see that mine started out very rudimentarily, and improved much over
time. i have one finished except for the last 2 sails that is a nice improvement
over the stern galleries of the Scimitar. i am just waiting for this semester to
be over to get pics, work and school are killing me right now, but i will have
pics up by the end of this week, i promise ;-) .

as far as the stern galleries go, the scimitar was a vast improvement over my
past ones, but my goal has been to build a gallery that is entirely sloped, not
just the lower part. my new design achieves this, and i didnt have to resort to
non traditional techniques (like basically jamming parts in the space to hold
the windos in, as they dont actually attach to the stern itself, like in this
pic: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=535371) which really
streamlines the design. anyway, i am very excited to share it with you guys, and
it will be soon!

anyway, if you guys start a techniques thread, it would be a very useful tool
for everyone here, myself included! one thing i dont do is build interiors, i
cant figure out how to make the ship structurally sound enough with out cross
bracing it throughout the hull. so, thats an area where i could use help.

best regards,
steve