 Pirates / 3581
3580  |  3582
Subject:
HMS Scimitar sets sail!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 03:56:01 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

well, its been ahwile since i last posted, but i was finally able to get
pictures of my newest ship. introducing: her majesty's light frigate Scimitar.

post-mod of course!

she carries 24 guns, 18 on the lower deck and 6 on the upper. she is 4 wide
center hull sections long. these pictures are all taken in battle trim, not
under full sail, hence, the missing main sail and fore sail.  i cut these sails
from heavy canvas, and they came out pretty well. its the first time i can say i
"succeded" in making custom sails. my others were pure junk :-) . oh well,
practice makes perfect! anyway, i decided to try a different color scheme, and
was particularly happy with the results. plus, the colors are more picture
friendly than the black of my other ships. i never liked that the center
sections didnt come up as high as the bow and stern sections, so one was forced
to fill them with non brown bricks, so i ordered some brown ones off bricklink,
and again, i like the way they came out. however, i am most especially happy
with the stern, always a matter of concern for me. my ships usually go through
3-4 stern incarnations until i am satisfied. i tried to duplicate the stern of
the real ships, with it's curved planking as much as using straight bricks would
allow, and tried to add the gold highlights and make them flow with the curve of
the stern also. i absolutely love the way it came out. it is the most realistic
stern i have constructed to date. so, the fates conspired to make everything
work out correctly for me on this ship, and consequently, it is my favorite. i
am actually considering building a 5 center section version to go along with
this one, in the same color even :-)! actually, i am looking for another color
scheme to do my next ship in. the problem is, lego doesnt offer the high slopes
in many colors. i would like to do a nice dark red, but alas...  anyway, i am
extremely happy with the way this ship turned out, and my other ships are happy
with the addition to the fleet. i have another ship i will be posting as soon as
i get pics, but it is in the old color scheme. well, PLMKWYT! oh, and how does
one insert pictures into their post? i am tired of the old post-a-link method
and would like to jazz up my posts a little, and not have to depend on all the
pics to clear mod on bricklink. thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

oh, on an off note, Richie, i remember reading that you had a brit ship in the
works, just curious how thats coming along! always look forward to seeing
another brit set sail :-).

thanks!
steve