 Pirates / 3597
Re: HMS Scimitar sets sail!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:32:35 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Rowe wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:

-snip-

   The sails are great! I typically furl the lower sails, to keep the deck clear. The heavy canvas holds its shape nicely, too.

yeah, it works pretty well, but due to the weave, wants to come apart at the edges if you are not careful!

A light brushing of dilute PVA glue might help with the fraying.

hmmm... ill have to give that a try.

   -snip-

   See my other post. But now you’ve got me thinking about revising the colour scheme.... ;-)

thanks for all the nice compliments! i really look forward to seeing your next ship, and hopefully i will start another one in a month or so, maybe larger!

There’s nothing like a bit of inspiration! HMLS Frivolous now has two sides... one built straight up from the hull pieces, the other using inverse 45deg slops to widen it. Obviously one will be dismantled and reset at some point... I just can’t decide which at the moment. And it’s grey too... who would have thought?

lol, i thought i was the only one who did that “i have 2 ideas on how to build my ship, so i will built one side as such, and the other this way, and decide what i like”. sometimes, i even forget that the other side is still built differently, and dont notice until its almost done. :-) i have never tried increasing the width with inverse slopes, though you seem to use it on the majority of your larger ships. i cant figure out how to build the part where the inverse row of slopes ends and the regular width of the bow and stern sections begins, if that makes any sense. i kind of wish i could find a way to increase the width of my ships though, because the cannon on the top deck are really close, and it just looks kinda funny to me. i would like to free up more deck space for my intrepid sailors! i am glad i could inspire someone! i have taken a lot of inspiration from .pirates, and it is nice to be able to make a contribution. (and along the way to strike a little fear into the non-british sailing types ;-) ) thanks!

steve

   Adieu

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique