 Pirates / 3889
Re: Report: ISS Advatange Refit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 05:50:58 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Wesley Davis wrote:
   I’d love to discuss shipbuilding techniques. I’m always looking to improve.

I just recently discovered the crow’s nest by looking at a photo of one from below. (That’s why I included such a photo in the post at the top of this thread).

There’s lots of things we can discuss. I think most of them are modifications.

Let’s see:

Expanded Mast Platforms and crow’s nests
Adding forward (and rear) chaser cannons on turntables
Custom sails (definately cool)
Building and storing lifeboats
Studs-up yard design
Figureheads

You can go larger than minifig - many ships had figureheads that were ‘larger than life’ (in many senses of that term). I find a minifig head, on a 2x1 tile (with one stud) on two headlight bricks, with 2 1x1 round plates as breasts works well... if you squint you can see the effect on the HMLS Demand.

   Internal compartmentalization
The recurring problem of “How to make the interior accessible”

Removable decks don’t work real well. The Misérable features removable gun deck panels, which you can see (sort of) http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/krafol/BricksMeet2003/MOCs/Pirates/blue4.jpghere. A section of hull and deck slide onto tiles on the main hull. The anchor points for the ratlines are fixed.

   Starting a ship
making cool-looking aft sections

Ask Stephen Rowe.

   Extending masts and placement of sails (I want to see topgallants, royals,
and skysails!)

Use templates to make multiple copies of sails. Make new sails to the same proportions as the real Lego ones. Build your rig to fit standard sail sizes, not your sails to fit the rig (it makes rebuilds a lot easier, and you get used to standard proportions).

   And, of course, how to build a good-looking two-decker. It’s a challenge.

Ask Richard Parsons.

Cheers

Richie Dulin