 Pirates / 2990
Re: Horse Artillery (was Re: Hussars!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 01:48:37 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Kenneth Tam writes:
Actually there is.... Port Brique now has horse artillery. ;-)

http://www.lugnet.com/loc/au/~1285/PortBrique/GrandArmie

Oh good God! The French have just decided to send *all* their smartly
dressed horsemen to the Pacific, haven't they?

Indeed. But the early 80's tyre stockpile has to run out sooner or later...

Why horse artillery? Because I had a few spare blue torsos, and a lot more of
those old tyres... and some superficial research showing horse artillerists
wearing large busbies.

I spent last night trying various things with tire hats, and surprisingly,
Horse Artillery crossed my mind to... though the French were the only ones
to wore the bushbies... I need tarleton helmets -- which I unwisely never
got around to buying during Castle's run (off to the clearance section for
me) -- and then I get horse artillery... or light dragoons!

Dragoons, huh? Interesting you should mention dragoons....

Still having a look at Grenadier bearskin shakos though... there must be a way!

And nice 8-pounder... hell, I'd venture its size to make it an 18-pounder --
a great seige gun,

I generally think of my ships' cannon as 18 pounders, and this is about half
the calibre....

But if the ships were upgraded to 24 pounders...

and then you'd have a reason for the Horse Artillery...
harass evildoers as they down the coast to Port Brique (and if they landed
Marines to capture the gun, you'd have cavalry there to stop them!).

*Evil grin*

Cheers

Richie