 Pirates / 2973
  Hussars!

Ahoy! I've always likes James Howse's idea of Russian hats made from old style tyres (see pics at (URL) note: the use of tyres as hats dates back to at least 1975.) Nice hats, but not really in my prefered era or region. Recently, though, I was (...) (22 years ago, 22-Sep-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build.minifigs)

  Re: Hussars!

(...) Love these guys. With cloaks and epaulettes they strike just the right note - their haughty self-assuredness comes through in the images as surely as through the original oils. I'm trying to work out what Port Block would be doing with a bunch (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Hussars!

(...) Head selection is important for hussars. I was careful to select only moustachioed arrogant looking types. After all, they have to be pretty self-assured to get around with hats like those. (...) Port Block is overdue for a royal visit, isn't (...) (22 years ago, 24-Sep-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Hussars!

Eeep! I've been off the board too long -- I come back and the Hussars have arrived -- in fine looking fashion no less! Well, nothing like quite like cavalry to tip the scales in a boarding action... Huh? Well, a good disincentive for a landing (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build.minifigs)

  Horse Artillery (was Re: Hussars!)

(...) Actually there is.... Port Brique now has horse artillery. ;-) (URL) horse artillery? Because I had a few spare blue torsos, and a lot more of those old tyres... and some superficial research showing horse artillerists wearing large busbies. (...) (22 years ago, 29-Sep-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build.minifigs)

  Re: Horse Artillery (was Re: Hussars!)

(...) Magnifique! I like the uniforms, the carriage, and the gun is wonderful - so simple, so elegant, so, just so! Most excellent. I already have a half dozen red Hussar types sitting on my monitor. Now its off to build some light field pieces. i (...) (22 years ago, 29-Sep-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build.minifigs)

  Re: Horse Artillery (was Re: Hussars!)

(...) dressed horsemen to the Pacific, haven't they? (...) I spent last night trying various things with tire hats, and surprisingly, Horse Artillery crossed my mind to... though the French were the only ones to wore the bushbies... I need tarleton (...) (22 years ago, 29-Sep-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build.minifigs)

  Re: Horse Artillery (was Re: Hussars!)

(...) The limber and the gun carriage both have an unusual five wide construction - I wanted the limber to have side by side seating, and six wide just looked too silly (as did building a wider seat *above* the wheels). I built the gun carriage five (...) (22 years ago, 30-Sep-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Horse Artillery (was Re: Hussars!)

(...) Indeed. But the early 80's tyre stockpile has to run out sooner or later... (...) Dragoons, huh? Interesting you should mention dragoons.... (...) I generally think of my ships' cannon as 18 pounders, and this is about half the calibre.... But (...) (22 years ago, 30-Sep-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Dragoons! (was Re: Horse Artillery (was Re: Hussars!))

(...) Yes, isn't it... BWA HA HAH HA HAH AH HAH AHAH AH HAH AHAA HA! *cough* Well, in the tradition of everything that's good and British, the Admiralty (and more precisely, Horse Guards) have decided to steal ideas from their Republican friends (...) (22 years ago, 1-Oct-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Dragoons! (was Re: Horse Artillery (was Re: Hussars!))

(...) That's the point of dragoons, isn't it?.... That they can get off and walk if they need too. (...) Aghh! It's not moderated yet! (...) Sounds great. Oh for a deep link to a pic... but I guess I can wait. (...) Always good to have some (...) (22 years ago, 1-Oct-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Dragoons! (was Re: Horse Artillery (was Re: Hussars!))

(...) [snip] (...) It is now! And very impressive they look too. (...) The green facings on the Admiral pattern torso do look the part! The forward facing small plumes are a nice touch (which I've noted for future reference!). Shouldn't dragoons be (...) (22 years ago, 1-Oct-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Dragoons! (was Re: Horse Artillery (was Re: Hussars!))

>Shouldn't dragoons be armed with muskets rather than pistols, though? (Or is (...) These chaps are carrying carbines, just on the other side of the saddle... unfortunately, I'm saving the 15 regular muskets I have left after arming my (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Dragoons! (was Re: Horse Artillery (was Re: Hussars!))

(...) I cut off the flaired end of Lego muskets to make carbines for my Dragoons. I'll have to try the tire-hat-thingy. (...) Lancers. :-) (...) Oh man, and I just started my superficial research by getting Sharpe's Rifles. Up to page 110. All those (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Dragoons! (was Re: Horse Artillery (was Re: Hussars!))

(...) If only I had that many extras... for now, I'm calling them Baker-pattern rifles... apparently (according to Brassey's History of the Uniform: Napoleonic Wars Wellington's Army) Dragoons carried them. This lets me arm a few riflemen with them, (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Hussars!

(...) Sorry its taken me so long to respond to this. You did a great job Richie, but did the tires stick to them selves or is there something inbetween the tires holding them together? Just wondering... Hasta La Vista, Sean (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build.minifigs)

  Re: Hussars!

(...) Sean, It's an entirely LEGO solution: the bottom tyre rests on the head and is locked in place with a 1x1 round plate (push down hard - the tyre will flare slightly over the head). Another 1x1 round plate is put on top, then the second tyre, (...) (22 years ago, 4-Oct-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.minifigs)

  Re: Hussars!

(...) I also am very adicted to this topic. So I did some jobs in this area during the last year. The Bavarian Army with a Hussar. (2 URLs) Michael Evans excellent results: (URL) My Hussars based on Knoetel paintings: (URL) and a lot more visible (...) (15 years ago, 27-Sep-09, to lugnet.build.minifigs, FTX)