 Pirates / 2973
2972  |  2974
Subject:
Hussars!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:59:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Ahoy!

I've always likes James Howse's idea of Russian hats made from old style
tyres (see pics at http://www.ozbricks.net/grandmoffmclean/Brickingrad.htm).
(Historical note: the use of tyres as hats dates back to at least 1975.)

Nice hats, but not really in my prefered era or region. Recently, though, I
was surfing the net for some Napoleonic troop images and I came across a
reference to hussars with flamboyant uniforms and *huge* bearskin hats.

I tried using some of the larger tyres to make a hussar bearskin, but there
was no easy way to lock them down. So I thought, why use one tyre when two
will do... thus the 1st South Pacific Hussars were born. Check them out at
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/hussars1.jpg
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/hussars2.jpg
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/hussar3.jpg

The double-tyre bearskins are assembled in the following order: minifig
head, tyre, 1 x 1 round flat (push down hard so the tyre flares slightly
over the top of the head), another 1x1 round flat, another tyre, another 1x1
round flat. (The top 1x1 round flat is red to simulate the ornamental 'busby
bag').

Only the top 1x1 round flat is visible when assembled, so you can get away
with using other colours inside... I finally made use of a lot of my
trans-orange 1x1 round flats.

How effective is a tyre bearskin? My daughter summed it up by asking "Daddy,
why do those men have tyres on their heads?"... and my wife managed to knock
a couple of bearskins off, but when she started looking for what she thought
were hats on the floor, was puzzled that she could only find tyres on the floor.

Perhaps using black 1x1 round flats on top would be better... the 1x1 flats
look just like the red hubs that LEGO used for a long time.

Exactly what the French Squadron will do with a unit of Hussars remains to
be seen. At the moment they spend their time drilling outside Port Brique as
well as charging up at down the main street at full gallop to impress the
ladies...

Cheers

Richie Dulin