 Pirates / 2975
Re: Hussars!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:48:07 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin writes:
Ahoy!

I've always likes James Howse's idea of Russian hats made from old style
tyres (see pics at http://www.ozbricks.net/grandmoffmclean/Brickingrad.htm).
(Historical note: the use of tyres as hats dates back to at least 1975.)

Nice hats, but not really in my prefered era or region. Recently, though, I
was surfing the net for some Napoleonic troop images and I came across a
reference to hussars with flamboyant uniforms and *huge* bearskin hats.

I tried using some of the larger tyres to make a hussar bearskin, but there
was no easy way to lock them down. So I thought, why use one tyre when two
will do... thus the 1st South Pacific Hussars were born. Check them out at
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/hussars1.jpg
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/hussars2.jpg
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/hussar3.jpg

Love these guys.  With cloaks and epaulettes they strike just the right note
- their haughty self-assuredness comes through in the images as surely as
through the original oils.

I'm trying to work out what Port Block would be doing with a bunch of
Queen's Guards types (red torsos, black pants, gold epaulettes), so I can
justify having a squad at Port Block :-)

Nice work.

Richard
Still baldly going...