 Parts / Custom / 95
Re: New Parts Drawings - Plates, Slope, Track Pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:58:36 GMT

In lugnet.parts.custom, Walter Geissmann wrote:
   In lugnet.parts.custom, Mark Bellis wrote:
   I wish TLC would make these parts. Seeing earlier discussions I think I’m not alone!

Mark,

You’re not alone. There are a lot of people with part wishes.

Sorry, I don’t have drawings but I also have a lot of wishes for TLC.

I would like to have additional technic gears (with 10, 14, 18, 22, 28 and 32 teeth). I know I can realize nearly every gear ratio with the use of several more gears, but the price is a lot more friction! Also I would like gears with 18, 20, 22 and 24 teeth and with clutch. At the moment I cut differentials to have at least a gear with 24 teeth and clutch. But the most wanted parts (because there is no alternative solution) would be ring gears with 24, 32, 40 and 48 teeth, because that would allow not only to build simple planetary gear trains but also Simpson or Ravigneaux gear trains.

Walter

In 1997 I sent TLC a sketch of some parts I wanted them to make, including 12 and 20 tooth cogs. Lo and behold the cogs appeared in the Droid Developer Kit in 1999!

I had decided that 12:20 would mesh in the same holes as 16:16 and 8:24 for gearboxes, which is why I suggested those sizes, apart from them being half way between the existing ones. This was in the days when the test car 8865 used 16:24 at an angle, and I wanted to make gear ratios approximately 1.6:1 apart. This was then developed in the Supercar 8880.

A mountain bike could be made with gears of 13, 15, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28 and 32 teeth, but if TLC made those, the bike would be far too wide, plus the cogs would be made as bevels without chain compatibility :-(

I can understand why pairs of 10:22 and 14:18 might be useful, but anything smaller than 8 would have to include the axle as part of the cog.

28 teeth are on the original differential gear and, yes, 32 teeth would be good because it would mesh with 16 tooth cogs in the same beam or 8, 24 and 40 with a half stud offset beam. The 32-tooth cog would have to be made chain compatible though.

Perhaps planetary gears are a bit complex for Lego applications such as trucks, since the scale of the gearbox would be too big for the wheel size, unless some wheels bigger than 82mm were produced. Then there’s the torque capabilty of the axles to consider of course. I’ve twisted a few myself!

I did have a go at an automatic gearbox, using differentials and an unconventional layout. This was before the large turntable had appeared, but the 24 toth ring in the turntable would make this easier with three 8-tooth cogs in it, supported in a technic plate with holes on the top of the turntable. Then the sun wheel is the middle cog, the planet set is the outer cog of the turntable and the annulus is the bottom of the turntable.

More gears with round centre holes would be useful for making clocks. At the moment, ratios of 2, 2, 3 and 5 are needed to get the 60:1 reduction in speed, driving the second hand on the axle and the minute hand on a technic 1-wide plate meshed with a 16-tooth cog with dog-clutch.

An alternative to cogs is to make a variable speed gearbox. I made a MOC of one (no pics yet), based on one that was being developed for a car. The gearbox consists of two haves of an axial ball race with three wheels inside the race (instead of ball bearings) that do not rotate with the race. The three wheels can be angled to vary the ration between the two halves by a factor of 9:1. One half connects to the car engine and the other to the final drive. My MOC couldn’t use ball races as that would require new moulds, but I used two flat plates of tiles with the axles sprung to take up any slack when the wheels were turned. The wheels were 24mm pulleys with tyres, and I used two rather than three for easier angles. It’s good enough to demonstrate the principle but can’t really transmit any power. The idea is that a computer keeps the engine at maximum power (more efficient) and varies the angle of the wheels depending on engine speed, driver command and load from the wheels.

Mark