 Parts / Custom / 92
91  |  93
Subject:
Visio and Picture formats (was New Parts Drawings - Plates, Slope, Track Pieces)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 23:09:47 GMT

In lugnet.parts.custom, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.parts.custom, Mark Bellis wrote:
   ... It’s just that I usually post jpegs or bitmaps

Please consider not posting bitmaps. They are very space intensive and take a long time to load. Instead use a lossless compressed format like .gif if you can. In my view jpegs are not as good for things like line drawings, they are better for continuous tone photos.

I only use bitmaps when they are smaller than the equivalent jpeg - ie they are monochrome ones. This was the case for the parts I’ve drawn so far. I’ve used jpegs for colour pictures up to now.

I did a test with the 4x4 round plate drawing: monochrome bitmap is 34KB jpeg is 66KB png is 63KB but loses definition gif is 13KB In this case the jpeg is larger than the bitmap, which is why I posted the bitmap. I haven’t yet investigated GIFs or PNGs, so perhaps you could tell me: Is GIF the standard highest compression, lowest loss format? If so, why doesn’t everyone use them? I’ve seen animation in GIFs - how do you do that? What are PNGs used for, since they lose definition? Are GIFs or PNGs any more vulnerable to viruses than jpegs or bitmaps?

   My CAD expertise is more developed in circuit diagrams (see technic mindstorms folder), but this is 2D and very quick in Visio, now that I’ve drawn a few component symbols.

Would you consider sharing your Visio library occasionally? Just a zip would be great. Visio is a great tool I think!

Thanks!

I’m glad Visio is so quick, since I can draw some circuits in my 30 minute lunch break, saving on needing Visio at home. I copy the drawing to Paint and save as a jpeg, since Visio seems to have a problem with saving picture files. I only use the internet at home, due to work policy. Posted pictures are still open to doctoring, but give away a little less than the source files. Perhaps you would like to develop your own style :-) Feel free to use a print of one of my circuits as you design your component symbols though.

For a resistor I drew a 1x2 rectangle with no fill at 100% in Visio, then at 200% added leads the same length as the box to the centres of the ends of the box. I then put a text box by the side for the value. I grouped the four items and set the double-click action to “Open group in new window”, so that I can copy the resistor and edit the resistance value rather than draw another one.

I did the same with capacitors and diodes, making them a similar size. I’ve done other components as required, keeping the same proportions, but now have transistors, op-amps, batteries, relay contacts, Lego 9V plugs and some logic gates. Other components are just a box. I use a line with the end set to 10 (round blob) a lot, since every T-junction should have a blob. I keep one of each component in a template file, which I copy to start a new diagram. When I start a new one I just delete the components I know I won’t need. For posting on Brickshelf I set the line weight to 9 so that the wires show up.

The results are here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=97964

Hmmm.. I think the FUT should be to lugnet.cad!

Mark