 Parts / Custom / 94
Re: New Parts Drawings - Plates, Slope, Track Pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 05:21:40 GMT

In lugnet.parts.custom, Mark Bellis wrote:

Please don’t go to a lot of trouble on my account!

Hi,

No real “trouble” - I do this for a living. It’s the DAT conversion that’s slightly fussy. If you’re not using MLCAD with your custom parts, I don’t know if there’s much demand otherwise! So I may as well just skip that bit.

If others want to make a library of wished-for parts, then CAD would be the way to go. If the relationship with TLC’s parts design department could be established, I’m not sure what format would be best for submission of designs. I suggest some sort of universal engineering drawing, that could be converted to whatever they use.

Somehow I don’t see TLG designers wanting or needing to see fan-created CAD files. IF they were interested in the designs, they’d probably create all that stuff on their own; all you’d need are renders/DAT files of your parts to convey the idea to them. Heck, if it’s a good enough part idea you could sell it with a sketch on a napkin..

All commercial CAD software can output to common image file formats. Modified DAT files can be read in MLCAD or other viewers. IOW, I don’t think standardization of the format is an issue.

If you can draw parts easily and post 3D or 3rd angle projection jpegs on Brickshelf, these parts, which I have actually made, would be useful:

Having said all that, sure, I can model your files and give you renders or ortho views (again I don’t think detailed dimensions are really necessary). I’d already modeled most of the parts you mention for a CAD class I teach.

However, is there any way you could post a picture of all the modded parts you’ve actually made? Maybe even a before-after type thing? I’m having a hard time understanding the mod to the pulley just from your words, and I know nothing about trains so I don’t understand the context of its use.

Darrell