 Off-Topic / Fun / 4522
Re: Thoughts on using yellow for a castle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:20:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Eric Lind writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Eric Brouwer writes:
And I believe there is also Eriq, as in Eriq La Salle from ER (Dr. Benton)

Goodness, I'm going to have to write a new regular expression to recognize the
name.  Let's see.... Eri((c[kh])|[ck]).(1)  That works out to "Eri" followed
by either c followed by k or h, OR, c or k.  Thus Erick, Erich, Eric, or Erik
are valid.  Anything else strikes me as being some sort of delusional American
aberration (As I dislike this practice of my fellow Americans, I will
blissfully ignore the other forms).(2)  Of course, Eri((c[kh])|[ck]) is a big
mouthful, whereas Eri[ck] is nice 'n friendly.  I say we stick with the simple
version and leave it at that.  See the footnotes for further Perl fun.

Cool!  That'll remove everyone named Aric, Ric, Ricky, Eirik, Erek, Errick,
Rick, or Rikky from your ranks!  This is, of course, assuming you removed all
the Frederick's (and all variations) and Roderick's (and all variations) from
your original list.  ;)

Jeff

P.S.  I *really* love the NameDB: <http://incompetech.com/named/>  :)