 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2823
Re: Cobi/Best-Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:57:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Parsons wrote:
   These sound like MB Command Ops (Military) and Dragons (Fantasy) figs to me. I haven’t seen studs on Bestlock figs’ backs either.

I want so badly for this not to be true, because it would mean I’ve been thinking of the wrong minifig this whole time, but I just dug around in my clone bins and I think you’re right. I’ve got Best-Lock and military sets so connected in my mind that I forgot that Command Ops was Mega Bloks.

   And I would heartily agree that Command Ops was just made for BrikWars.

Command Ops is good for BrikWars, but for me nothing’s going to top the first-year Dragons Battle Chests, before the Dragons factions started getting overdesigned and silly. Nothing but humans, orcs, and the craziest piles of medieval hand weapons for a couple of bucks. Genius! Even the fully-articulated Pyrates figure packs didn’t excite me as much. I already had plenty of pirates and skellies, but orcs are something I’d wanted for years.

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
   Not sure when you mean--can you be more specific? I have Mega Bloks catalogs dating back to 1993, and they’ve never struck me as deceptively similar,

Now I’m wondering if I mixed up the brands on that one as well, I should be more careful about shooting my mouth off. I got an informal presentation four years ago about why it’s important to close the window curtains in Billund; I got to see old Lego dealer catalogs next to clone catalogs that I thought I remembered as being from Mega but now I’m not completely sure. Whichever company it was, every page layout was identical, with the individual models built as similarly as the clone company could manage with its less extensive selection of elements. Lego’s been given plenty of cause for legitimate paranoia over the years.

   Thanks for making that distinction. I get frustrated when LEGO’s proponents throw all clones onto the same “they’re rip-offs” pile, when in fact there’s a wide range of brands with different strengths and weaknesses.

Really, I don’t think the whole “rip-off” thing would be such a big deal if the clones in general weren’t so prone to quality issues. The two stories I like to tell are about a girl I dated in college who refused to touch Lego because she’d had such a bad experience in high school trying to build with Mega Bloks, not caring at all that the two brands weren’t related; and the call I got a few years ago from an old friend up in Portland who was in a rage at Lego because he’d tried to build some of the early big Dragons sets and all the “Lego” pieces kept popping apart by themselves (I don’t know if the Dragons element quality has improved since then, but I have plenty of those first- and second-year sets myself, and I can tell you that it takes an act of God to get some of those elements to stay together). That’s just two people right in my immediate circle of friends who were once excited about construction bricks but dropped out of the market because of bad experiences with clones (although in the second case I was able to bring him back into the fold with a little work).

I can understand if Lego and Lego fans are frustrated by competitors poisoning the market that way; I was certainly tearing my hair the couple of times I ran into it, and I don’t think any clone brand right now is completely innocent of releasing poorly-functioning elements in at least one or two of its themes. I’m happy to point out some of the things that a couple of the clone companies are doing that I think are really cool, but I think I still feel fine about lumping them all together into the “they’re rip-offs” pile at least in that one regard. I’ll still need to pick up some of the post-merger Best-Lock bricks to see how much their quality’s improved, though.

(Not that it matters for the purposes of the story, but this time I am sure that it was Mega Bloks in both cases, since I’d been determined to track down the specific sets that’d given each of them trouble.)

   How sure are you that the LEGO minifig design is indeed trademarked and protected as such?

You can see their trademark notices for it here and there - the first one that pops up in Google is at the bottom of the Star Wars video game site. In regards to the big BrikWars painting, the word I got back in 2003 was as follows:

“The MINIFIGURE is an icon for LEGO Company, and it is a proptected trademark in many countries world wide. We also have a copyright protection for the MINIFIGURE in many countries world wide. We take very good care of the MINIFIGURE, and we do not license our copyrights and or any trademarks rights to it.”

Reading this again, I’m kind of interested to note that it sounds like it’s a trademark in some places and a copyright in others (or maybe both at once somehow?). I’d like to see a list of which countries get which status.