 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2818
Re: Cobi/Best-Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:32:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Mike Rayhawk wrote:

   Isn’t part of that LEGO’s fault, though? Mega Bloks doesn’t market itself as LEGO, and I’ve never seen a single store flyer or promotional that equated the two. If a consumer can’t tell a Harley from a Honda, is that Honda’s fault? I’m asking sincerely--to what length must a product go to ensure that no one thinks that it’s something else?

Kind of off the subject, but Mega Bloks did used to go in for some pretty openly deceptive marketing practices in their earlier days - see if you can find an old Mega catalog and compare it to the Lego catalog from the same product season.

Not sure when you mean--can you be more specific? I have Mega Bloks catalogs dating back to 1993, and they’ve never struck me as deceptively similar, except insofar as they feature pictures of the various sets arranged in a large display format. But that’s hardly a LEGO-original idea in any case--all kinds of toys (and products in general) use a similar format. Or were you describing something else?

   But they’ve definitely come into their own in the last bunch of years, I wouldn’t try to deny that they’ve become a very legitimate competitor in the field on the strength of their own design work.

Thanks for making that distinction. I get frustrated when LEGO’s proponents throw all clones onto the same “they’re rip-offs” pile, when in fact there’s a wide range of brands with different strengths and weaknesses.

   But it’s still an accusation that needs to be borne out, because it unavoidably implies willful deceit. It seems entirely possible to me that other brands have identified the minifig design as the pinnacle and are simply using the same configuration. I suspect that’s why all construction brick toys use a 2x4 brick--it’s the best design.

Having spent a lot of time designing around the minifig, I can tell you that it’s not the pinnacle at all, except maybe as a pinnacle of late-Seventies Norse design fashion at the tail end of Modernism. There are so many aspects of the Lego minifig that are a design headache. Lego’s just backed itself into a corner where they can’t mess with it or else they risk damaging its trademark status, if you remember the discussions that were going around a few years back about why the Yoda minifig couldn’t just have had a regular minifig head with ears attached. (Now if only they’d trademarked classic gray.) I think the direction Mega is going with the mini action figures has a lot more potential for approaching a ‘pinnacle,’ from a strict design standpoint.

I’ve been giving this some thought, and I need to recant that point. The sculpted-head Mega Bloks figures are IMO far superior to the standard LEGO minifigs, and the recent highly articulated figures are in a category all by themselves. I think when I used the term “pinnacle” I really meant “industry standard,” which is hardly the same at all; in fact, if it were the industry standard, then it’s clear that LEGO would be holding the reins on the design.

   Do you have much experience with the old style of Best-Lock minfigs? They’re grossly inferior to LEGO or Mega Bloks figures for a number of reasons. The move to the Cobi design is a clear improvement.

I’ll take a second to point out the ‘brikwars’ in my e-mail address up there, and mention the fact that Lego doesn’t make army sets! I like the Best-Lock figures just fine, especially the fact that they put studs on the torso backs.

?? They do? I admit that I have only about two dozen Best-Lock figures from before the Cobi merger, but none of them have studs anywhere on them. In fact, they don’t have leg-holes, the heads are cup-shaped, and the legs attach by little clip-mounts at the hips. Is there a design with which I am (very possibly) not familiar?

   I don’t have any experience handling the Cobi figures directly, but from a shape standpoint I don’t see any special functional advantage. Or I should say, any advantage they gain from copying Lego details could have been just as easily gained with a non-infringing design.

Yeah, like I said above, I’ve been rethinking this point. How sure are you that the LEGO minifig design is indeed trademarked and protected as such? As fond as I am of clone brands, I don’t care to support a brand that actively engages in unlawful trademark violation.

   Well, what if they abandoned their minifig design? Would you be able to assess the brand on its own merits, or have you made up your mind altogether?

That’s hard to say. I love the look of those new pirate ships, but a lot depends on the quality of the bricks, whether they fasten well enough to hold together in large constructions. I’ve only ever bought Best-Lock to get the flashy elements to add to Lego models - army figures, military weapons, nets and sandbags etc. - I haven’t had a lot of luck getting their actual bricks to stay fastened, especially not in large numbers.

Best-Lock prior to the Cobi merger is IMO awful. The bricks have very poor clutch power, and they intermix with LEGO or Mega Bloks minimally if at all. Post merger, Cobi/Best-Lock has improved markedly, and the plastic quality is surprisingly good. You might be able to find a set on the cheap at TRU or KB Toys. The Just Kidz line, which is a derivative of the Cobi/Best-Lock merger, is of somewhat lower quality and uses a less LEGO-like minifig design, but you can pick up at least three different sets for $5.00 each.

Incidentally, Larry Marak has pointed out to me that Cobi/Best-Lock does not seem to make use of the 2x4 brick, which surprises me but appears to be correct (based on a review of the sets I own).

Dave!