 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2814
Re: Cobi/Best-Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:20:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
   That’s an interesting argument--do you have a citation? I ask because I believe that the patent on the minifig design has expired, and previous arguments by LEGO re: the “trademark” status of their pieces have failed.

It’s a little misleading to say their arguments have ‘failed’ - the same arguments that got shot down in Mega Bloks’ Canadian home court are still doing just fine in the courts of northern Europe. I think the big loss in Germany is going to be a sign of things to come however.

This is at least how it’s been explained to me: the basis for overturning the trademark status of the basic brick was that the brick’s design was ruled to be purely necessary to its function (apart from the signature element of the logo on the studs), and you can’t make a legitimately-competing product without duplicating that function. So as far as that goes, I think trying to defend the trademark on the brick is probably just staving off the inevitable, at least in any country where the laws are set up to support market competition.

   The majority of rulings against LEGO have found that such designs--being functional in nature--are subject to patent law rather than trademark.

On the brick itself, that’s right (although still not yet in all countries). But the minifig’s a different story; there are any number of design solutions to making a human figure in a construction-brick world, so the “functional” argument doesn’t apply in the same way. There are functional aspects to the minifig which can’t receive trademark protections - holes in the back of the legs allowing it to sit on studs, hands that grip a handle of x dimension - but the signature aspects without a specific functional basis can be protected: the shape of the elbow, the way the wrist connects to the hand, the rounded cylinder of the head.

   Beyond that, I’m not sure how trademark status would even apply, unless we’re supposing that any minifig-style design belongs to LEGO. That is, since LEGO has long since moved beyond the “smiley-face” minifig design, it no longer seems reasonable for them to claim it as the figurehead image of the company. Further, does the trademark apply to the smiley-face or to the minifig as a whole?

Wikipedia’s got a decent primer on some of the ins and outs of shape trademarks - I know citing a wiki isn’t exactly academically rigorous, but I don’t see any reason to get all o.t.d. about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

The shape trademark, as far as I understand, isn’t related to the graphics printed on it. (I don’t think the Lego smiley graphic is trademarked at all, based on how freely they make changes to it, although I can’t say so conclusively.)

   And anyway these Cobi/Best-Lock minifigs might not even violate trademark issues because they are similar to but not indistinguishable from LEGO minifigs.

From a legal standpoint, the issue isn’t whether they can be distinguished, it’s the degree to which the similarity of design causes damaging brand confusion in the mind of the consumer, and whether the design choices that lead to that confusion can be justified by some aspect of fair use.

In Mega Bloks’ victory in Canada, there was a “clear finding” that the duplicated brick design caused genuine and damaging brand confusion among consumers, but it was judged irrelevant in the face of the functional argument. (I know you’ll want a citation on that, but my quick googling isn’t pulling up anything stronger than the Lego press releases, so take it with a grain of salt. I’ve heard crazy numbers bandied around from that case - that over forty percent of Canadian consumers buying Mega Bloks either believed that they were actually buying Lego products or that Mega Bloks was a division of Lego. That’s just remembered hearsay though, if someone can locate the official finding-of-fact documents I’ve been wanting to get a look at them for a long time.)

   I’ve seen “candy cigarettes” with labels designed to look very much like Marlboro or Camel, but still sufficiently different to avoid issues of trademark violation. The same might be true here.

In cases like that it’s not that the logos were sufficiently different, it’s that candy cigarettes don’t compete directly with real cigarettes. If another cigarette company had tried to use those logos you can bet there’d’ve been serious litigation.

And that’s not to say there wasn’t - I don’t think candy cigarettes are a high-investment industry, I’d bet you could make a quick profit in the interval between putting the product on the market and having to stop production when the injunction hits. People who want to make money off of training kids to smoke don’t strike me as the types who probably have the strongest business ethics.

   Let’s not throw around the word “counterfeit” prematurely. If these Cobi/Best-Lock minifigs are indeed being legally produced and distributed (and we must presume innocence, after all), then it’s libelous to call them counterfeit.

“Made in imitation so as to be passed off fraudulently or deceptively as genuine.” As a designer I’m used to using the word “counterfeit” in its more precise sense. Counterfeiting isn’t necessarily a criminal act, just a grossly unethical one.

Best-Lock had a fine design that was already vaguely similar to the Lego figure, but they’ve just changed it to be much, much less distinguishable. Why? Those changes have no functional benefit over the previous design. Is there even one possible advantage to the redesigns, other than to make the figures more easily confused with a Lego product? Regardless of the ultimate legality of their actions, what they’re doing is counterfeiting.

   There you go again with accusations--yikes! If this goes to court and Cobi/Best-Lock is found to be acting legally, will you post here to retract your accusations of counterfeiting and fakery? Yowza!

I don’t think that being found innocent of criminality is going to change my personal beliefs about their motivations for these design decisions.

   That reasoning breaks down a bit when we consider that Cobi has been producing these sets and minifigs for several years, and other brands have likewise been producing similar minifigs.

Sure, but have they been producing them in this market? The systems of law are different in every country. Releasing Cobi bricks in Poland is a whole different legal animal than releasing them in the Americas or other markets.

I’ll qualify everything here by saying I’m not a lawyer, and I’m not privy to the non-public legal details of these cases. I’m just some guy on the internet, and I think everybody knows how seriously to take the wild diatribes of some guy on the internet. What I am, though, is a professional designer, so I do have some insights and opinions about things like this that other people might not, and I try to share those to the best of my understanding. And in the case of Cobi my personal opinions are pretty strong.