 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2812
Re: Cobi/Best-Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:54:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, David Eaton wrote:
   Hm. I was under the impression that even just the *image* of a minifig was un-marketable thanks to copyright. I seem to recall that Mike Rayhawk was prevented from selling his BrikWars artwork for that reason (although I don’t think he ever tried to push the issue, since he has a vested interest in not annoying the company).

It’s about trademark rather than copyright - the minifig is legally recognized to represent the Lego company, it’s not just one of their designs or intellectual properties. From a legal standpoint, using the minifig is equivalent to using the actual Lego logo on your product.

Besides having a vested interest in not annoying the company, I also have a vested interest in not diluting the trademark. If I did so, then in a case like this, Best-Lock would be able to use my work as supporting evidence in their defense when Lego sues them for their counterfeits. And then nobody wins.

If I had to guess, I would say that Best-Lock probably acquired the Lego counterfeit molds as part of their merger, from some part of the world where a trademark doesn’t have the same legal protections. The big cost for a company like Best-Lock isn’t in producing the plastic bits, it’s in making the molds for those bits, so if they’ve already got the molds through the merger anyway, it costs them comparatively little to make a legal opportunity bid to hit Lego while they’re down by pumping out shipments of fakes.

Obviously Best-Lock knows they’re going to get sued. They really didn’t leave Lego a lot of choice with such an obvious affront, so they must think the chances are good for gaining some long-term advantage by taking the case to court. Lego’s legal position has taken some big setbacks outside the U.S. over the last couple of years, and Lego’s recent financial belt-tightening hasn’t been a big secret either, so in Best-Lock’s eyes there may never be a better time to force legal action with the goal of winning some loosening of the restrictions on counterfeiters.