 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2807
Re: Cobi/Best-Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 17:07:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Dave Schuler wrote: But check out the
   minifigs in any case!

Pirate crew

Wow. I admit I haven’t been following Best-Lock at all, but isn’t this insanely close to copyright violation for the “likeness” of the minifig? Have their figs always been so minifiggish?

I’m not sure, to be honest. Cobi has existed for some time in Europe (based in Poland) but has only become available in the US very recently, in the wake of the Cobi/Best-Lock merger. Over at The Bloks Forum we’ve been discussing this brand for a while. Apparently there’s a large body of distinctive elements that pop up in a wide range of brands (Oxford, Shifty, Cobi, Coko, ad infinitum), so it’s difficult to trace the lineage of a particular part or even a particular brand. This style of minifig appears to have originated in the pre-merger Cobi sets, and the fact that they’re available in the US at all suggests to me that TLG’s patents must have expired some time ago. The Just Kidz sub-brand I mentioned makes use of a different minifig style but is still part of the Cobi/Best-Lock brand (the logo appears on the instruction sheet but not on the box itself nor on the bricks--weird).

I just realized that I have other Cobi/Best-Lock minifigs from one of the military sets, and I’ll post a picture of them tonight or tomorrow. They have the same squared legs (versus the rounded style of Mega Bloks minifigs), but the heads don’t have a protruding nose.

For that matter, I’ll post a pic of the Just Kidz style of minifig, too.

Dave!