 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2816
Re: Cobi/Best-Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:23:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:

   Well, how different does it have to be? I can post detailed pics of the Cobi/Best-Lock minifig components separated and placed side-by-side with LEGO equivalents, if that’ll help. I know, for instance,that the shape of Cobi/Best-Lock is different (can’t hold a 1x1 round from beneath, for example), and the shape of the arm is subtly different otherwise AFAIK. What’s the threshold for “too similar” in shape?

I believe that the major similarity is scale. More on this below.

<snip>

   Isn’t part of that LEGO’s fault, though? Mega Bloks doesn’t market itself as LEGO, and I’ve never seen a single store flyer or promotional that equated the two. If a consumer can’t tell a Harley from a Honda, is that Honda’s fault? I’m asking sincerely--to what length must a product go to ensure that no one thinks that it’s something else?

Surely you are not implying that it is just as easy to distinuish a red Mega Bloks 2x4 brick from a red LEGO 2x4 brick as it is a Honda from a Harley!

   But it’s still an accusation that needs to be borne out, because it unavoidably implies willful deceit. It seems entirely possible to me that other brands have identified the minifig design as the pinnacle and are simply using the same configuration. I suspect that’s why all construction brick toys use a 2x4 brick--it’s the best design.

I don’t buy that argument for one second. Even if it were the best design, why use the same metrics? By making their products compatible with LEGO, they are deliberately confusing the customer. They know only all too well that the same toy using different measurements wouldn’t sell nearly as well as it would if it were indistinguishable from LEGO in proportions. They are, in essence, profiting off TLG’s patents. There is no compelling reason why clones should be legally allowed to share TLG’s patented metrics. They should be forced to create their own unique ones.

JOHN