 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2809
Re: Cobi/Best-Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 04:00:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
   This style of minifig ... suggests to me that TLG’s patents must have expired some time ago.

Hm. I was under the impression that even just the *image* of a minifig was un-marketable thanks to copyright. I seem to recall that Mike Rayhawk was prevented from selling his BrikWars artwork for that reason (although I don’t think he ever tried to push the issue, since he has a vested interest in not annoying the company).

Old Timers may recall the flap back in ‘99 over the LEGODEATH image originally crafted by “Froggy.” A brief (400+ post) thread on RTL can be read here, if you’re interested.

I can’t remember what became of that whole issue, but clearly the image is still available online, whatever that implies...

   I seem to remember having seen the minifig-style fig in the Chinese knock-offs “Brick”/”Shifty”, but they were flat-out barred from sale in the US (for other reasons primarily of course). Only ones I’ve ever noticed to date in the US have been less minifiggy, I guess...

I think it goes a step further--Brick/Shifty was ordered to destroy a whole bunch of their rip-off clone bricks in a move that I would describe as beneficial to the entire industry. Illegal knock-offs hurt LEGO and its legitimate competitors alike!

Anyway, there’s a wide spectrum of minifigs of varying quality. Heck, Mega Bloks has gone through half a dozen fundamental design changes all by itself, much less all the other brands. The lineage gets confusing, as I mentioned, with considerable apparent mingling among several brands. Clone-o-phile though I am, even I can’t keep it all straight.

If you’re interested, you might check out RedBean Studios, which maintains a repository of minifig-related images and info, drawing from LEGO and a host of other brick-brands.

I’ll see about posting that aforementioned photo tomorrow, if possible.

Dave!