 Marketplace / Shopping / 11712
Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 02:12:32 GMT

Replying to several related messages...

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 11:51:44AM +0000, Tim Strutt wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Doug Eaton wrote:
While visiting friends in Waterloo this weekend, I stopped by Bricks and Blocks
in St. Jacob's Mall and was surprised to find Pick A Brick in Canada and at a
store that is not owned by LEGO.

http://www.elecbrick.com/lego/bnb/

For comparison, a large Canadian PAB bag is $9.00 and holds almost as much as a
small $7.60 US PAB cup (this one came from Solomon Pond.)

Are the Discovery Mills ones really filled with as much as a large PAB
cup for the price of a small?  That size seems to be the same as the
grab bags the stores fill with returned pieces.  The store policy at
Burlington and Solomon Pond brand retail locations is to fill a small
PAB container with pieces then put those pieces into the grab bag and
seal it.  Most bags have about half of what I would stuff into them.

I have no idea if the "do not stack bricks" rule is enforced.  I did not
test that point.  At the very least, this is a far cry from the
Massachusetts philosophy of "cram as much as you can into the cup and if
the lid kind of touches, its good."  If the lid snaps shut, I have heard
the staff tell customers to put more in.  My rule of thumb is stacking
bricks allows 40% more material for bricks.  Plates do even better.

This is cool. Finally Pick-A-Brick has come to Canada.
Now I'm kicking myself for not taking my wife up on the offer to swing by
St. Jacob's on the way back from Marineland the previous weekend. D'oh!
How much did you pick up?

I only picked up the single large bag.  Most of it was black jumper
plates and hinges.  My wife actually filled most of the bag for me.  She
rooted around in the buckets looking for those pieces for me.  She is
trying to become a LSO.

Doug