 Marketplace / Shopping / 11698
Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:45:15 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Martin Legault wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Doug Eaton wrote:
While visiting friends in Waterloo this weekend, I stopped by Bricks and Blocks
in St. Jacob's Mall and was suprised to find Pick A Brick in Canada and at a
store that is not owned by LEGO.

http://www.elecbrick.com/lego/bnb/

For comparison, a large Canadian PAB bag is $9.00 and holds almost as much as a
small $7.60 US PAB cup (this one came from Solomon Pond.)

Hello Doug,

Happy to learn that we have a PAB in the great white north. Do you have the list
of parts at the store? Is the only choice are the picture you took? It look
limited but a start.

Martin,

I'll let doug confirm, but from what I can see in his pictures I think he
captured every one of the buckets on the rack.  Keep in mind, in some of the
buckets they mix together 2 or 3 different shapes/sizes of the same colored
element.  For example, the 1x4 red plates are mixed together with the 2x8 red
plates.  Several of the buckets are like this.

And in case anyone is wondering, yes the light grey is the new grey.

I called the store at 3:45 today and found out they were open until 5:00.  So I
drove in to take a look for myself.

Initially I figured I'd fill the larger bags, thinking that would be the best
deal.  But when I got there, it appeared (at least to my eyes) that the large
bags aren't really that much larger than the small ones.  I would guess no more
than 25% larger. (Maybe someone else has a better take on how much bigger they
really are.) But where the small bags cost $5.99 each (before tax) the large are
$9.99.  So I ended up filling two small bags.

Here are the bags packed, sitting next to a 1x8 shown for scale:

http://www.apotome.com/lego/bags.jpg

Here are the bags unpacked and sorted:

http://www.apotome.com/lego/bag1.jpg
http://www.apotome.com/lego/bag2.jpg

Bag #1 ended up with 131 pieces or about 4.6 cents per part.

Bag #2 ended up with 98 pieces or about 6.1 cents per part.

The first bag had a few smaller elements and I managed to cram it with nearly 60
black offset plates. It was getting very near closing time when I was finishing
up the second bag so it wasn't as well packed.

According to the staff, that is the size of the rack for now. They are testing
it to see how it goes.  Although in just the 30 minutes I was there I heard at
least 3 other customers say, "wow, look at that" and saw two or three other
people packing bags.  I can't imagine this won't do well for them.

Doug, thanks again for the heads-up! What a great way to finish off the holiday
weekend.  :)

Best regards,
Allan B.