 Marketplace / Shopping / 11693
Subject:
Pick A Brick now in Canada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:34:12 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

While visiting friends in Waterloo this weekend, I stopped by Bricks and Blocks
in St. Jacob's Mall and was suprised to find Pick A Brick in Canada and at a
store that is not owned by LEGO.

http://www.elecbrick.com/lego/bnb/

For comparison, a large Canadian PAB bag is $9.00 and holds almost as much as a
small $7.60 US PAB cup (this one came from Solomon Pond.)

Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada
In lugnet.market.shopping, Doug Eaton wrote:
While visiting friends in Waterloo this weekend, I stopped by Bricks and Blocks
in St. Jacob's Mall and was suprised to find Pick A Brick in Canada and at a
store that is not owned by LEGO.

http://www.elecbrick.com/lego/bnb/

For comparison, a large Canadian PAB bag is $9.00 and holds almost as much as a
small $7.60 US PAB cup (this one came from Solomon Pond.)

Hello Doug,

Happy to learn that we have a PAB in the great white north. Do you have the list
of parts at the store? Is the only choice are the picture you took? It look
limited but a start.

thanks,
Martin

Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada
In lugnet.market.shopping, Doug Eaton wrote:
While visiting friends in Waterloo this weekend, I stopped by Bricks and Blocks
in St. Jacob's Mall and was suprised to find Pick A Brick in Canada and at a
store that is not owned by LEGO.

http://www.elecbrick.com/lego/bnb/

For comparison, a large Canadian PAB bag is $9.00 and holds almost as much as a
small $7.60 US PAB cup (this one came from Solomon Pond.)

Doug,

Thank you very much for posting this.  I live only about 35 minutes from Bricks
and Blocks, so this is very good news.

This must be very new for them.  I was just there on August 15 and there was no
sign of it then.

I had spoken with the staff a couple of months before that and they talked as
though they might be getting one "some day".  But it looks like some day is now.
:)

It's interesting that it's not a wall like the company owned stores, but I guess
it's more of a rack... based on your pictures.  I'm guessing that was much
easier to install.

Thanks again for this great news, and the pics as well.

Best regards,
Allan B.

Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada
While visiting friends in Waterloo this weekend, I stopped by Bricks and • Blocks
in St. Jacob's Mall and was suprised to find Pick A Brick in Canada and at • a
store that is not owned by LEGO.

http://www.elecbrick.com/lego/bnb/

For comparison, a large Canadian PAB bag is $9.00 and holds almost as much • as a
small $7.60 US PAB cup (this one came from Solomon Pond.)

This looks just like the system used at the LEGO Outlet in Denver.  I had a
chance to stop by the Denver Outlet about three weeks ago and they had about
a dozen different elements which you purchased by the bag.  IMHO, the bag
was a better deal than the plastic cups are.  The only thing I bought was
2x6 light yellow bricks.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com

Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada
In lugnet.market.shopping, Martin Legault wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Doug Eaton wrote:
While visiting friends in Waterloo this weekend, I stopped by Bricks and Blocks
in St. Jacob's Mall and was suprised to find Pick A Brick in Canada and at a
store that is not owned by LEGO.

http://www.elecbrick.com/lego/bnb/

For comparison, a large Canadian PAB bag is $9.00 and holds almost as much as a
small $7.60 US PAB cup (this one came from Solomon Pond.)

Hello Doug,

Happy to learn that we have a PAB in the great white north. Do you have the list
of parts at the store? Is the only choice are the picture you took? It look
limited but a start.

Martin,

I'll let doug confirm, but from what I can see in his pictures I think he
captured every one of the buckets on the rack.  Keep in mind, in some of the
buckets they mix together 2 or 3 different shapes/sizes of the same colored
element.  For example, the 1x4 red plates are mixed together with the 2x8 red
plates.  Several of the buckets are like this.

And in case anyone is wondering, yes the light grey is the new grey.

I called the store at 3:45 today and found out they were open until 5:00.  So I
drove in to take a look for myself.

Initially I figured I'd fill the larger bags, thinking that would be the best
deal.  But when I got there, it appeared (at least to my eyes) that the large
bags aren't really that much larger than the small ones.  I would guess no more
than 25% larger. (Maybe someone else has a better take on how much bigger they
really are.) But where the small bags cost $5.99 each (before tax) the large are
$9.99.  So I ended up filling two small bags.

Here are the bags packed, sitting next to a 1x8 shown for scale:

http://www.apotome.com/lego/bags.jpg

Here are the bags unpacked and sorted:

http://www.apotome.com/lego/bag1.jpg
http://www.apotome.com/lego/bag2.jpg

Bag #1 ended up with 131 pieces or about 4.6 cents per part.

Bag #2 ended up with 98 pieces or about 6.1 cents per part.

The first bag had a few smaller elements and I managed to cram it with nearly 60
black offset plates. It was getting very near closing time when I was finishing
up the second bag so it wasn't as well packed.

According to the staff, that is the size of the rack for now. They are testing
it to see how it goes.  Although in just the 30 minutes I was there I heard at
least 3 other customers say, "wow, look at that" and saw two or three other
people packing bags.  I can't imagine this won't do well for them.

Doug, thanks again for the heads-up! What a great way to finish off the holiday
weekend.  :)

Best regards,
Allan B.

Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada
Initially I figured I'd fill the larger bags, thinking that would be the best
deal.  But when I got there, it appeared (at least to my eyes) that the large
bags aren't really that much larger than the small ones.  I would guess no more
than 25% larger. (Maybe someone else has a better take on how much bigger they
really are.) But where the small bags cost $5.99 each (before tax) the large are
$9.99.  So I ended up filling two small bags.

Too bad I have to spent about 3 minutes finding the way, being my first time in
Waterloo.

Next time I will know to go for the small bags. Thanks.

least 3 other customers say, "wow, look at that" and saw two or three other
people packing bags.  I can't imagine this won't do well for them.

I was there (in a pig tee :-) too around most of the 4pm filling up one large
bag. Did you see me?

Doug, thanks again for the heads-up! What a great way to finish off the holiday
weekend.  :)

Next is to check if their Cookstown location have this same thing.

Best regards,
Allan B.

Cheers
Keith

Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada
In lugnet.market.shopping, Keith Hui wrote:
Hi Allan,

Initially I figured I'd fill the larger bags, thinking that would be the best
deal.  But when I got there, it appeared (at least to my eyes) that the large
bags aren't really that much larger than the small ones.  I would guess no more
than 25% larger. (Maybe someone else has a better take on how much bigger they
really are.) But where the small bags cost $5.99 each (before tax) the large are
$9.99.  So I ended up filling two small bags.

Too bad I have to spent about 3 minutes finding the way, being my first time in
Waterloo.

Next time I will know to go for the small bags. Thanks.

Well, that's just my feeling, but it was based on a very quick comparison. I'd
be interested to hear from someone who packed one of each, to see whether or not
the large bag can hold $4 worth more than the small.

least 3 other customers say, "wow, look at that" and saw two or three other
people packing bags.  I can't imagine this won't do well for them.

I was there (in a pig tee :-) too around most of the 4pm filling up one large
bag. Did you see me?

I don't think so.  :(

I arrived around 4:30 and went immediately into a Pick-a-Brick zone out... my
own mother could have been standing next to me and I probably wouldn't have
noticed.  ;)

Next is to check if their Cookstown location have this same thing.

Yes, it will be interesting to know if it's there and/or at their Windsor
outlet.

Best regards,
Allan B.

Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada
In lugnet.market.shopping, Doug Eaton wrote:
While visiting friends in Waterloo this weekend, I stopped by Bricks and Blocks
in St. Jacob's Mall and was surprised to find Pick A Brick in Canada and at a
store that is not owned by LEGO.

http://www.elecbrick.com/lego/bnb/

Happy to learn that we have a PAB in the great white north. Do you have the list
of parts at the store? Is the only choice are the picture you took? It look
limited but a start.

I'll let Doug confirm, but from what I can see in his pictures I think he
captured every one of the buckets on the rack.  Keep in mind, in some of the
buckets they mix together 2 or 3 different shapes/sizes of the same colored
element.  For example, the 1x4 red plates are mixed together with the 2x8 red
plates.  Several of the buckets are like this.

Those are all the buckets.  The tree has 32 of them.  Unfortunately,
someone walked in front of the one picture I took of it.

I was thinking of getting one of everything for the inventory but
decided to take pictures instead.  The red slopes and black greebles may
have a few more pieces than I can identify in the photos.  These pieces
are present:

  6249  Red      Brick 2 x 4 with Pins
  6248  Red      Wheel Freestyle
  3483  Black    Tyre Small
  30285 White    Wheel 30.4 x 14
  x436  Black    Tyre 24 x 14 with Shallow Staggered Treads
  6232  Red      Brick 2 x 2 with Pin and Axlehole
  6249  MdStone  Brick 2 x 4 with Pins
  3003  DkPink   Brick 2 x 2
  3004  Teal     Brick 1 x 2
  3001  Teal     Brick 2 x 4
  3003  Purple   Brick 2 x 2
  33303 White    Fence 1 x 4 x 2 Picket
  3298  Red      Slope Brick 33 3 x 2
  3660  Red      Slope Brick 45 2 x 2 Inverted
  3040  Red      Slope Brick 45 2 x 1
  3037  Red      Slope Brick 45 2 x 4
  3004  Red      Brick 1 x 2
  3001  Red      Brick 2 x 4
  3710  Red      Plate 1 x 4
  3034  Red      Plate 2 x 8
  3003  TrBlue   Brick 2 x 2
  3010  MdBlue   Brick 1 x 4
  3001  MdBlue   Brick 2 x 4
  3001  Blue     Brick 2 x 4
  3710  SandBlue Plate 1 x 4
  3001  Black    Brick 2 x 4
  3894  Black    Technic Brick 1 x 6 with Holes
  3794  Black    Plate 1 x 2 with 1 Stud
  3710  Black    Plate 1 x 4
  3185  Black    Fence 1 x 4 x 2
  2429  Black    Hinge Plate 1 x 4 Base
  2430  Black    Hinge Plate 1 x 4 Top
  3003  TrRed    Brick 2 x 2
  3001  LtYellow Brick 2 x 4
  600   White    Door 1 x 6 x 6 Freestyle
  6235  Red      Door 2 x 6 x 6 Frame Freestyle
  3001  Yellow   Brick 2 x 4
  3001  White    Brick 2 x 4
  3001  MdStone  Brick 2 x 4
  3007  MdStone  Brick 2 x 8
  3010  MdStone  Brick 1 x 4
  3035  MdStone  Plate 4 x 8
  3004  Lime     Brick 1 x 2
  3001  Lime     Brick 2 x 4
  3020  Green    Plate 2 x 4
  3003  TrGreen  Brick 2 x 2
  3471  Green    Plant Tree Pine 4 x 4 x 6 & 2/3

And in case anyone is wondering, yes the light grey is the new grey.

I did not select any gray myself but some helpers added pieces for me.

Doug, thanks again for the heads-up! What a great way to finish off the holiday
weekend.  :)

You are welcome.  I was not expecting to find PAB while I was out this
weekend.  Then again, I live 3 miles from Solomon Pond so I PAB on a
weekly (sometimes daily) basis.

Some hints for those who live near PAB locations:

1) Get to know the manager.  The parts I saw are a subset of those
available to the brand retail stores.  The managers of these stores will
likely be able to chose the parts they stock in the same way the
managers at the brand retail stores do.

2) The store manager chooses the parts to stock based on how well they
move.  My opinion is now solicited when new parts become available as I
do a fair job in assessing and assisting these movements.  Buy a lot
(frequently, not just in sporadic bursts although the bursts never hurt
your reputation) so the manager gets to know your face, then your name,
then your family.  Then your opinion will be valued.

3) Once you have rapport with the manager, ask what parts are in the back
room.  At Solomon Pond, about half the parts in the store are on the
wall.  Another 20 unique parts are in the back room as there are not
enough bins on the wall.

4) Watch the brand retail PAB postings since any pieces available there
will likely be available to your store.  I offer to buy one quarter of a
case if my store will order one.  They try their hardest to find a box
for me.  Your requests will likely be honored if they know a good chunk
of the investment will have a guaranteed quick sell-off.

Happy PABing.
PAB Master Doug

Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada
In lugnet.market.shopping, Doug Eaton wrote:
While visiting friends in Waterloo this weekend, I stopped by Bricks and Blocks
in St. Jacob's Mall and was suprised to find Pick A Brick in Canada and at a
store that is not owned by LEGO.

http://www.elecbrick.com/lego/bnb/

For comparison, a large Canadian PAB bag is $9.00 and holds almost as much as a
small $7.60 US PAB cup (this one came from Solomon Pond.)

This look like the same bucket tree used at Discover Mills. The bags there go
for I think 6.99 USD and seem to hold about the same, or maybe a trifle more,
than a large PAB cup.

Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada
In lugnet.market.shopping, Doug Eaton wrote:
While visiting friends in Waterloo this weekend, I stopped by Bricks and Blocks
in St. Jacob's Mall and was suprised to find Pick A Brick in Canada and at a
store that is not owned by LEGO.

http://www.elecbrick.com/lego/bnb/

For comparison, a large Canadian PAB bag is $9.00 and holds almost as much as a
small $7.60 US PAB cup (this one came from Solomon Pond.)

This is cool. Finally Pick-A-Brick has come to Canada.
Now I'm kicking myself for not taking my wife up on the offer to swing by
St. Jacob's on the way back from Marineland the previous weekend. D'oh!
How much did you pick up?
Play well.

Tim Strutt

Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada
In lugnet.market.shopping, Doug Eaton wrote:
While visiting friends in Waterloo this weekend, I stopped by Bricks and Blocks
in St. Jacob's Mall and was suprised to find Pick A Brick in Canada and at a
store that is not owned by LEGO.

http://www.elecbrick.com/lego/bnb/

For comparison, a large Canadian PAB bag is $9.00 and holds almost as much as a
small $7.60 US PAB cup (this one came from Solomon Pond.)

That's neat - glad to hear they pulled off a PAB selection there.

Do they hold you to the policy of not stacking bricks?
http://www.elecbrick.com/lego/bnb/pab_rules.jpg
Otherwise, there's a lot of wasted space in the bag...

Ed

Re: Pick A Brick now in Canada