 LEGO Company / 1238
Re: Dear LEGO...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.loc.ca.on.ott, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 05:52:41 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Tim Strutt wrote:
Jake,

...or whatever other LEGO representative that might be reading this...
Why has Canada been left out of this big list of LEGO store openings?!?!
Not to ignore other countries, but Canada actually had a LEGO S@H until a
couple years ago, and it's bad enough we have to go through the US for that.
Why can't we get a Pick A Brick too?!?!
Just a token one to start with would be fine. Say, maybe the nations
capital, Ottawa.   :-)

Well, if you're going to put it anywhere, you'd put it in the nation's REAL
capital, Toronto.  You know, the one that leads in economy, population, culture
etc. :)  It only makes sense that you'd go for Toronto:  If you had to pick a
place with the most people (Toronto) or the most tourist visits (Toronto)* where
would you pick?  :)

But that said, would you, the AFOL, really go to it that often?  We get almost
every set already at those Bricks and Blocks stores, including several S@H Only
sets.  Anything we can't get, we can mail order.  Prices at the US Lego stores
show that you only really save shipping, and I'm sure your LUG members already
get together on larger orders to save on shipping all the time.  Shipping for my
Mindstorms 2.0 was a whopping $1.42.

Lego is not going to give us 1:1 with American pricing.  It'll be at exchange,
which means it'll never be a deal.  Compare to the ridiculous sales we get
regularly--and our Sears Clearance, Zellers BOGOHP, Walmart, Winners...

So that only really leaves Pick A Brick.  Most of us fans here have had kind
friends (Thanks Mario and JeffE!) to help us out, but would you really go there
that often even if there was one in your own city?  Is there really that
variable a selection that would make you want to go and buy something more than
say, once every two months?

And if they put one in Ottawa (or Toronto) would either us really drive 6 hours
to get Pick a Brick?

Calum
* 2002 Tourism Ontario/Stats Can: 20M visits to GTA, 4.5M to Ottawa Region.