 General / 53957
Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:08:45 GMT

&tIn lugnet.general, Travis Cobbs wrote:

   here is Peter’s sh script (all 844 bytes of it): • ; http://www.halibut.com/~tcobbs/ldraw/private/bsbackup.sh

Boy, that is a lot more compact than mine!

   Also, it seems to only back up images (not sure why that is).

It looks like it’s only considering links to /cgi-bin/gallery.cgi. However, links to non-image files from the Brickshelf folder pages point directly to /gallery/username/foo/bar.dat. (Ah, I see you have fixed this.)

   Make sure to put quotes around the URL on the command line, since brickshelf URLs usually include a question mark, which the shell will try to interpret.

That advice probably stands for my script’s -url option as well.

   As mentioned, you must have wget installed on your system (which is there by default on most Linux distros).

For anyone interested, I can confirm that wget 1.10.2 builds on my Mac with the following:

./configure
make
make install

As Travis noted, though, if you don’t have a /usr/local directory (as I do) you may want to configure a different installation location.

For what it’s worth, I just did an informal comparison between this script and mine. I timed the download of my account with each script. Keep in mind that network variations and in particular Brickshelf’s heavy traffic make this a relative comparison, not an absolute measure.

cd ~/bsbackup-test
time ./bsbackup.sh "http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=anoved"

This took 24:32 (using the initial version which did not retrieve my LDraw files).

time bscrawl.tcl -url  "http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=anoved" -dir ~/bscrawl-test  -pause 0.01

This took 31:20 to download all my files.

So, it looks like your script is a bit faster as well as a bit smaller.

Jim