 General / 53932
Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:47:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Travis Cobbs wrote:

   Thanks for that Jim. I got the script working for user backup, and Peter Bartfai (the author of the original script) also got one working for user backup (before seeing my email that I’d gotten it working). However, while I haven’t looked at Peter’s yet, mine definitely appears more difficult to use than yours.

Well, I had the advantage of writing it from scratch specifically for this purpose. It’s funny because I had been thinking about writing a Brickshelf upload utility (like Flickr Uploadr) but circumstances resulted in a download utility instead.

   It requires wget (which Mac OSX doesn’t ship with), so it would have to be distributed in a DMG for Mac users.

On the other hand, Mac OS X does come with curl, so maybe it could be adapted to use that.

   I’ll probably post the scripts somewhere anyway, so that at least Linux people can them it if they so desire.

OK. The more the merrier! (I think that Tcl and tcllib come with some Linux distributions, too, but I don’t know for sure, so a plain shell script could be a useful alternative.)

   The original script grabbed all .ldr, .mpd, and .dat files from all of Brickshelf, and I ran that last night, so at least none of the CAD models will be lost. I don’t really have the ability to host them at the moment, but I may make them available at some point in the future.

Wow! I can see how that would be a useful script for testing LDView, too.

Speaking of hosting LDraw files - what exactly is the story with the “Official Model Repository”? Is there any such actual repository? If not, would this be a good time for the LDraw community to implement the idea? (Forgive my ignorance if this topic has been resolved one way or the other - I’m just curious.)

Anyway, Brickshelf must be going out with a bang as far as bandwidth is concerned.

Jim