 General / 53931
Re: Revitalizing or Replacing BrickShelf In Some Form
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:59:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.announce, Clifton D. Chambers wrote:

The rights to BrickShelf expire in August.  Is it feasible that we as a
community can revitalize BrickShelf in some form as a paid site and say move it
to North Star Computer Systems, since the president, Eric Smith, has offered his
services?  Has anyone actually communicated with Kevin?  The other sites have
been around and by their own admission generate less than 20 % of the volume
generated by BrickShelf. BrickShelf was unique and it was dedicated to LEGO and
the LEGO community.

For the record, I am hosting some LEGO club sites in exchange for links back to
the main Northstar page. I also host a number of LEGO-related sites (including
bricklink.com) on a paid basis.

brickshelf.com requires massive resources that cannot possibly be hosted for
free. BS states that it is hosting 1,891,345 images. Assuming an average size of
500 Kb, that's over 900 Gb of images, and that's a conservative estimate. The
number of image views is a big question, but the last I knew was around 10-15
Mbps/day.

I am considering offering a paid version of brickshelf.com that I would host as
an alternative to the generic flickr/photobucket sites. There have been several
other sites popup (mocpages, mocshow) in the past day that are also talking
about subscription services, but I don't know anything about them at this time.
I believe that Northstar is in a good position to host a brickshelf 2.0 site,
but I need to gauge how many people would be willing to pay for a service like
this, based on their disk usage and bandwidth usage.

Before I get accused of being greedy, I am trying to create a viable and
sustainable business model that hopefully can last a long time. Giving away
bandwidth and disk space is not a sustainable business model. A
subscription-based service is the easiest to manage and sustain, since the users
of the site are paying to grow the capabilities (bandwidth, storage, etc.).

There are lots of cheap alternatives to what I'll probably be offering, and I'm
sure I'll get the usual people suggesting that it should be free, but there are
some economic realities that simply won't go away.

Eric Smith
President, Northstar Computer Systems