 Announcements / 3577

Subject:
Revitalizing or Replacing BrickShelf In Some Form
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:39:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I have noticed on LUGNET that there are a number of sites that are being offered
as alternatives to BrickShelf.  My concern is the issue of the number of sites
now competing to fill the void and splintering the community, rather than one
major site or the revitalizing BrickShelf.  I am grateful to Sean (MOCpages) and
others that have offered their sites and servers as an alternative, but none of
the site in their current configuration can replace BrickShelf.

Flickr is the one most often mentioned and I am not impressed.  For those of us who have been using yahoo photos, you are aware of the pending shut down if yahoo photos in September.  Flickr is the alternative that has been pushed by yahoo as the hoist site to move our photos before the Yahoo shutdown. I understand that this is one of the sites owned by Yahoo.  The site is sometimes slow and difficult. I have used it from both a Comcast cable connection and from a T-1 line at work. I also remember testing it from a Verizon DSL connection a couple of years ago. Our LEGO photos will be lost among the millions of other photos on the site.   The problems were serious enough that I left my photos on yahoo and starting looking at the alternative sites. That’s just my opinion.   There are other people who have expressed confidence in the site.

The rights to BrickShelf expire in August.  Is it feasible that we as a
community can revitalize BrickShelf in some form as a paid site and say move it
to North Star Computer Systems, since the president, Eric Smith, has offered his
services?  Has anyone actually communicated with Kevin?  The other sites have
been around and by their own admission generate less than 20 % of the volume
generated by BrickShelf. BrickShelf was unique and it was dedicated to LEGO and
the LEGO community.

There seems to be a pattern of long standing larger events (BrickFest), etc and
programs being replaced by smaller regional events and programs. It is a great
loss to the international community to allow this pattern to continue.  I am
hoping there is some way to revitalize BrickShelf on a new hoist server,
especially if Kevin is willing to release the rights to the site.

Clifton

Re: Revitalizing or Replacing BrickShelf In Some Form