 General / 53952
Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:28:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Reynolds wrote:

   It requires wget (which Mac OSX doesn’t ship with), so it would have to be distributed in a DMG for Mac users.

On the other hand, Mac OS X does come with curl, so maybe it could be adapted to use that.

There are many instructions how to install wget and even some installers. curl can’t beat ‘wget -m’ afaik.

I didn’t have any problem compiling and installing wget (although I did have to change the default install path by hand from /usr/local to /opt/local so that it would be in my pre-existing path). However, I suspect that most Mac users would be averse to doing that. Having said that, here is Peter’s sh script (all 844 bytes of it):

http://www.halibut.com/~tcobbs/ldraw/private/bsbackup.sh

To use the above script, run it with the URL of the gallery you want backed up as the only argument on the command line. I think it will only work if it’s in the current directory when you run it. Also, it seems to only back up images (not sure why that is). Make sure to put quotes around the URL on the command line, since brickshelf URLs usually include a question mark, which the shell will try to interpret.

Example:
./bsbackup.sh "http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=169512"
As mentioned, you must have wget installed on your system (which is there by default on most Linux distros). This script doesn’t use the -m option, and could be (fairly easily) modified to work with curl. I haven’t done that, though, and don’t plan to.

--Travis