 General / 53877
  Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(URL) Brickshelf will be shutting down on 2007/07/31. Please save your files to your computer. Jennifer www.peeron.com (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Kudos to BS for going above and beyond the call to provide users an opportunity to retrieve their files. But my Top Ten list still stands. Dave! (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Wonderful! Thanks to you and Kevin for arranging this! Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend: saving all of my photos and every photo that I love on Bshelf! It still is a shame that Bshelf is going away, but thanks for the 2nd chance to (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(URL) here>'s how to make a quick and easy Brickshelf backup. Don't panic! (Douglas Adams) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Thanks. Didier (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Great news and glad to hear it! Grab stuff while the grabbing is good, folks--and a big Thank You to all parties that made it happen! (Especially Kevin--and thanks for all the years of hard work you sank into this!) Play Well and Prosper, (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) edit! link is dead, but this one still works: (URL) phew! (almost panic...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Absolutely! I'm really sad to see Brickshelf, and all those wonderful MOC images go away... but THANK YOU to having kept Brickshelf up and running all these years, and thank you yet again for the window to have a last browse and grab through (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Very nice. Too bad there's not a Mac version (and I don't think anyone will cobble one up in the next two weeks :-). (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Thanks Jennifer for the heads up. Thanks Kevin for the years of free service, and the opportunity for idiots like me to grab photos they foolishly didn't archive. Since I'm throwing a "Thanks" grenade, thanks also to Sean Kenney for responding (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Thanks to all of those who made this possible. Jude (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) No promises, but keep an eye on lugnet.cad.dev.mac tonight or tomorrow. I started something like this (but quicker and dirtier) Sunday morning before the https link went down. Jim (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Actually, I have in my possession a shell script that does something similar, that could be fairly easily modified to do the same thing. The author specifically asked that this script not be distributed, though, so I've asked him if he can (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) This struck me as ironic as I was helping myself to my faviourite 5 inspirational photo's from your gallery at the time. Such great work! God Bless, Nathan (hope you don't mind) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Awesome! Thanks for the heads-up Jennifer. I had all my stuff backed up, but there are some photos (not mine) on there I would love to save. Just serves as a reminder to us all to keep backups of everything. :-) -Dave (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Excellent news. Thanks to everyone who arranged for this. Is there any word on the future status of Maj? -Gaurav (remove the capital S's in the email) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Thanks for this! It works very nicely. -Hendo (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac

As noted (URL) here>, there is a BSBackup utility for Windows that helps you batch download the contents of Brickshelf galleries. (This is of interest at the moment due to Brickshelf's imminent closure.) I've written a quick hack to accomplish the (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) whom do i kiss, thank and or send a check? also does anyone know just how large "tera bites" brickshelf is? ondrew (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

Hi, (...) Yes, indeed. Thanks a lot for bringing Brickshelf back for a short periode to safe the photos. Brickshelf was a great platform for the community to share photos with everybody. Thanks a lot for doing this, Kevin. A lot of my inspiration I (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Won't someone please think of the dead people? (Was: Brickshelf back up)

(...) Okay, so we've got two weeks to scour Brickshelf for stuff we want to save...assuming we're around to do so. I can recall at least three AFOLs who have passed on, and I'm sure there are others. It'd be really cool if their photos could be (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

WOW great thanks:) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac

(...) Here's a very rudimentary application that does the same thing for those who aren't comfortable using the Terminal: (URL) Download BrickshelfBackup.app.zip> (26k; probably requires Mac OS X 10.4, as does the bscrawl.tcl script) Double-click (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Won't someone please think of the dead people? (Was: Brickshelf back up)

(...) Some efforts are going on at these places. (URL) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac

Thanks for that Jim. I got the script working for user backup, and Peter Bartfai (the author of the original script) also got one working for user backup (before seeing my email that I'd gotten it working). However, while I haven't looked at Peter's (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac

(...) Well, I had the advantage of writing it from scratch specifically for this purpose. It's funny because I had been thinking about writing a Brickshelf upload utility (like (URL) Flickr Uploadr>) but circumstances resulted in a download utility (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac

(...) Thank you Jim! This was great and saved me a lot of time :) -Anne (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily) loss of pictures

(...) I have noticed the file count has dropped by over 11,000 pictures since Brickshelf has been back up. I do not know about others but I’m hopping to be able to view all the bookmarks I have acquired over the years at least once more. We still (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac

(...) Whoa, Jim, this was awesome. Thanks so much:-) JOHN (17 years ago, 18-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac

(...) There are many instructions how to install wget and even some installers. curl can't beat 'wget -m' afaik. (...) No official repository afaik. Last I heard was that we want to build it, but that requires a developer with the time to build it! (...) (17 years ago, 18-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac

(...) I didn't have any problem compiling and installing wget (although I did have to change the default install path by hand from /usr/local to /opt/local so that it would be in my pre-existing path). However, I suspect that most Mac users would be (...) (17 years ago, 18-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac

(...) OK, if you download and run the script now, it should back up all files (not just images). --Travis (17 years ago, 18-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac

(...) Boy, that is a lot more compact than mine! (...) It looks like it's only considering links to /cgi-bin/gallery.cgi. However, links to non-image files from the Brickshelf folder pages point directly to /gallery/username/foo/bar.dat. (Ah, I see (...) (17 years ago, 18-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac

(...) Of course, I just tried bsbackup.sh again - the current version that gets all files - and it took 32:05. There's a little quicktime movie in there that probably accounts for most of the difference as the MPD files are quite small. So the (...) (17 years ago, 18-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) First, I have to wonder why it is that we are hearing this type of news from you instead of Kevin. I don't mean to insult, but he has been conspicuously silent on the closure of Brickshelf. I little information for the community to chew on (...) (17 years ago, 19-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf back up (at least temporarily)

(...) Duane- You heard it from me because I posted first. :) This was public knowledge at the time I posted. Past history will show that postings from Brickshelf directly are few and far between. (...) No one wants this resource to be lost, however (...) (17 years ago, 19-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf Backup Crawler for Mac

(...) Yesterday I realized that while my script handled multi-page folder galleries (URLs like f=1234), it did not handle multi-page user galleries (URLs like m=username). This has been fixed and "version 1.1" is now available at the same address (...) (17 years ago, 21-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)