 General / 53767
  Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

This is not directed at Tim, but rather some of the whiners that responed to his post above... When I first saw that BrickShelf was down, I was all gung-ho to see what I could do to help bring it back up. As the host for Classic-Castle, I do have (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

Troy, thank you for posting this - much more eloquently than I would have been able to. Dan (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general) !

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) I second that, Thanks Troy. I would say more, but I am currently busy re-uploading pics for my store. I am also happy to pay for the service brickshelf has provided. I assumed that Brickshelf was part of LUGNET, and that my donation was to (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Pardon me, but if you provide a MAJOR service to a community that a huge number of people use, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT IS FREE OR NOT, it is pure politeness and respect to GIVE WARNING BEFORE YOU DISCONTINUE SERVICE. Honestly, to do otherwise (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) **Snip** (...) **snip** (...) Okay, folks-- Troy: Point made. While I am sad that this service has ended, if someone was running it out of pocket, bless them. I do resent being called a vulture, however--I have said nothing against a man I (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX) !

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) -snip- (...) Well put, Troy, spotlighted. Kevin owes 'the community' nothing. 'The community' owes brickshelf a lot. Cheers Richie Dulin LEGO Ambassador (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) It says nothing of the sort. As a JLUG admin we had a similar decision to make very recently, and chose the same path. We had no obligation to warn anyone, even though we had a picture gallery with pics people may not have kept a copy of. (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) So how do we fix lugnet post links? Tim (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Same as you've always had to do when a site linked here disappeared - repost with a new link, or live with it. ROSCO (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) And I hear the 'Invite To Chat' function is going to be ready pretty soon too. Cheers Richie Dulin Stajinaria Community Overlooker (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Please bring BS back - at least in a locked version!!

Thanks a lot for dragging Kevin out of the flames Troy, I couldn't agree more. Now, I don't know what has happened, but we know that BS was a problem for Kevin, and he may have good reasons for not wanting to continue it. However from a (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Please bring BS back - at least in a locked version!!

Thanks a lot for dragging Kevin out of the flames Troy, I couldn't agree more. Now, I don't know what has happened, but we know that BS was a problem for Kevin, and he may have good reasons for not wanting to continue it. However from a (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX) !!

  Re: Please bring BS back - at least in a locked version!!

Sorry about the double post here, Troy's post got me confused about who was actually behind Brickshelf, so please disregard the one above this. Damn I hate that you can't edit your posts here :( Cheers NB (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Absolutely. We were all guests at his house, if you will. At some point the party is over and he has a right to turn out the lights and send us home. I see nothing wrong with his decision. I'm saddened by it, there was lots of inspiration on (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Except that even the worst host would allow his guests to grab their jacket and car keys before throwing them out the door. Of course he was within his rights and of course we should be grateful for what BS was and work to replace it. However, (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Troy, something like this doesn't have to be either black or white, one side or the other. Brickshelf can be awesome because it's free and a good resource and it can also suck because it wasn't really ever improved and *especially* because it (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) You expected rounds of applause? (...) The people who used Brickshelf were very grateful for it - at no point, even now, have we become "ungrateful". The whole reason we are angry and disappointed is because it was a site we cared about. Most (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) While I respect the direction you have steered this conversation, I have to say I disagree with some of your comments Troy. First of all, many of the replies here have simply voiced frustration or concern over the possible loss to the online (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

Hendo, I will reply here to your post, but will try to cover everything above it as well. Please do not think that everything is pointed at you. (...) Please not that my original post specifically said "SOME" and not "ALL" replies. I can certainly (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Yes, on this we agree! ...And I too was trying to look at all sides fairly. You are right though, BS hasn't been down long and we don't know all the facts yet... And I do thank you and the others who have tried for any effort toward finding a (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Different situation; there were issues beyond your control involved with the loss of data and the lack of backups. In addition, discussion of the situation was out in the open. Jeff (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) It is clear to me you have never had to deal with Kevin before. I'm not a whiner, but I know when a battle is lost. (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Do what? He's only talking to but a few people, and not telling them much. EJP (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Please bring BS back - at least in a locked version!!

(...) First, Kevin, you've cost me thousands of dollars. If it weren't for Brickshelf I'd probably be off doing some boring hobby. Brickshelf was one of the hooks that drew me in and I'm very glad to be here. For this, I thank you. Second, as I sit (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Please bring BS back - at least in a locked version!!

(...) I would be happy if it were possible to buy the entire BS content database on a set of DVD's or something. Does anyone know how much space the entire BS archive is? How many 4.7GB DVDs would it take up? At the very least it would be nice if (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Please bring BS back - at least in a locked version!!

(...) Amen, brother. And I'm willing to put my $$$ where my mouth is, and I have emailed Kevin as much. I thought that it was great that Kevin finally started taking donations, but he ceased it. It is certainly worth $2.00 a month to me to support (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti wrote: <SNIP> (...) And so far the biggest whining has come from Troy ...... lmao on the irony. BS was a great service and will be missed, but let's not forget why it was good. It was the AFOL and all the awesome (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)