 General / 52978
Re: Hey, BrickShelf-users, seen this? Some more photography basics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 18:35:48 GMT

Holger "HoMa" Matthes wrote:

Lots of great advice snipped...

Though one comment - not everyone has the time or inclination to do all of
this. Though certainly are a few thoughts that don't really take all that
long to do.

Another method is used by Brickshelf to create the thumbnail pictures
in the overview gallery.

Overwiew with thumbnails:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=203210>

While uploading your pictures an batch process copies the pictures
and makes a new size and a new filename for the thumbnail pictures.

Thumbnail:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Rollingbricks/Homepage/Gauge1/FreightWagonG10/thumb/g10_1.jpg_thumb.jpg>
<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Rollingbricks/Homepage/Gauge1/FreightWagonG10/thumb/g10_1.jpg_thumb.jpg>>

And again the real picture:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Rollingbricks/Homepage/Gauge1/FreightWagonG10/g10_1.jpg>

Take a look at the difference in the address of both pictures. The
thumbnail is not displayed in a compressed way, it is automatically
edited and resized!

This is one of the features I like the best about BrickShelf. Not only does
it auto-thumbnail for you, but it makes those thumbnails easily accessible.
See this page:

http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/Lego/castle-creations.html

for an example of how I make use of the BrickShelf thumbnails, and note how
each picture is a link to the BrickShelf page (not a deep link, so people
will realize they can browse the gallery as they choose).

Of course that page was done when I had more time...

Frank