 General / 48676
48675  |  48677
Subject:
Yet another PAB 2X4 Record: 169 2x4s!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 22:34:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote: ...I could fit 163 2x4s in the cup, again assuming that the lid doesn’t need to snap on:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Chrispy/PickABrick/1pab163.jpg

This method is a bit more tightly packed, and you do have to press down slightly to get the bottom disc into the cup. If you omit the top and bottom brick from that disc you eliminate that problem. The top (largest) disc is also a bit tight, but still fits.

Well I would like to congratulate you for taking this challenge. This after all is for the benefit of everyone. I would like to still keep record by saying you can add 2 additional bricks to the second row to make it look like the first row diamond shape. So the record is 165!

I know this thread died months ago, but we got a store in the Seattle area a few weeks ago and I finally got to try it out. And, of course, this subject is always of interest.

I got 169 2x4 bricks into a cup today, using a slightly modified version of the pattern mentioned. And the best part: old grey!

There wasn’t much room to spare, though- I only managed to add 18 1x2 technic bricks around the bottom and 6 1x4x2 fences squeezed into perimeter crannies. And those fences were pretty well crammed in.

Note that you have to rotate the bottom two levels 90 degrees from each other so that they warp the cup in the same direction. But this pattern doesn’t seem to warp the cup any more than the previous pattern.

Also, you can get more studs’ worth of bricks if you use other geometries. Using 2x4, 2x2, 1x2, and 1x4 bricks, I got the stud-count equivalent of 182.5 2x4 bricks into a cup a couple of weeks ago. I probably could have gotten another 2 or so in if they had 1x1 bricks. The pattern was studs up, so obviously totally different from this. Unfortunately, I didn’t document it.

AndroDan
   Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com