 General / 39359
Re: Message boards on LEGO.com?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:56:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Avery writes:
Well, I see one member of our community has already posted there (see the
message about the Santa Fe Super Chief Cars in the trains group). But
there's something interesting, it's been "modified" by the "list moderator".
I wonder how much of Tim's original message has been changed.

Interesting...

I don't fancy posting where somebody has the access to re-word what I say.
I'd like it to be an all or nothing kind of moderation.

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. When I read my message (after
it had been approved and publicly visible) this morning, I was too groggy to
notice a difference. I notice they trimmed an off-topic comment on the top
(something to the effect of 'just testing the new boards out'), and trimmed
where I signed my name at the bottom.

I'm not comfortable with this happening either. I think all-or-nothing
moderation is far better - perhaps rejected messages could be held in a
folder for each member, with Administrator comments on what is wrong with
them, and a chance for the user to fix them themselves.

From a pending message about the Next Legend I have, I would expect my
comment, "The Monorail would make the perfect Futuron Legend, even though I
know its re-release is an impossibility. :^(" to be trimmed, as well as my
name at the bottom.  While great for the kids, I don't like being censored.
I'm doing a fair amount of self-censoring on the opinions I give to those
boards in the first place.  I don't see the problem with a signature line of
your name - I'm leaving out a LOT of things I could put in a signature
(email, website URLs, company name, etc etc).

-Tim